E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Chrome Stains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2013 | 03:39 PM

Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
Chrome Stains

Hi does anyone have any idea how to remove these stains? I have tried all kinds of metal polishes, scratch removers, even had the Mercedes dealer tried and they failed! The cost of new trim is £400 + fitting, it is the trim at the base of the roof below the rear window! I hope you can see them as it is difficult to get a photo to show but the eye sees everything !!
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Stains-img-20130130-00001.jpg  

Last edited by theraven333; 02-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2013 | 05:54 PM

B8.5 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI Coupe
I had the exact same issue on mine not long after I got the car, think it was there when I bought it but didn't notice on delivery, tried a couple of polishes on it but you'll maybe find that it is actually the trim pieces that are defective. I got mine replaced under warranty, never had it recur - I had originally thought the rubber seal at the bottom of the window was causing it but it hasn't happened since.
Old 02-07-2013 | 03:02 PM

Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
Well here is an update on this problem, I was advised to contact Mercedes Benz UK directly as they had refused the warranty claim via the dealer. I wrote to them and sent it registered delivery. Well yesterday Daimler aka Mercedes Benz UK contacted me to say that they would not uphold the claim, They implied I had done something (which I haven't) to cause the problem.
Just to reiterate, the staining is within the metal and has now been accepted that it is impossible to polish out as it sits below the lacquer?? Even if you strip off the top layer you could not do anything with the aluminium underneath.
I then later went back to them to appeal the decision and ask that someone from Daimler examine my car. they point blank refused and told me to appeal to the motoring trade governing body.
I have had it said to me internally that this is totally unacceptable and a couple of people are stunned at MB's attitude as a top end car supplier.
I recognise that in terms of the total car it is a small thing except that apparently the part alone is £400+ vat and the fitting is quite fiddly and difficult as access is very awkward, but that is not my issue.....
So how do I feel at the moment ????? I think that something like this sours the sentiment in owning the car, and feel Mercedes Benz are not the quality company they are at great pains to state through their advertising claims and in the scheme of everything petty minded!!!!
This makes me very very concerned about long term ownership!!!!

Last edited by theraven333; 02-07-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2013 | 07:17 PM

E550C
I'm sorry to hear about that...why not write to corporate headquarters in Germany?