E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2014 E 500 Coupe - Test Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 Coupe
2014 E 500 Coupe - Test Drive

Local dealer just got a E550 coupe in last week, so I went out this weekend to give it a run. I have one on order for Euro delivery in the early spring of 2014, so I just couldn't wait to try it out. The sales guy I was meeting with double booked appointments, so he threw me the key and said, go ahead take your time with it, I'll be back after i'm done. I got the chance to go through the car from top to bottom. This was the first Benz I've had any sort of contact with. I'm currently driving a 2012 Infiniti G37Xs coupe. in reviewing the specs, the benz is G is almost two inches longer, but it feels like a much bigger car. When I put the front seat all hte way back, I wasn't close to the pedals and I'm 6 feet tall. Much larger trunk too. Fit and finish were unreal and everything functions very well. The Comand system is much more intuititve than Infiniti's. When you ask the system on the Benz to do something it takes a second, on hte G it thinks about it for awhile. Massive sunroof. When I drove the thing I was blown away by how quiet the car is. When you step on the gas you can hear the growl of the exhaust just enought for you to know it means business. I messed around with all of the driving settings and they all made a descernable difference. The transmission tuning selection feature was very usable. The shift point changes were very evident. Tons of power on tap with the V-8 and the low end is incredible. My only gripe is the sterring feel. I think they are using an all electric system and it takes something away from the it. Not horrible, but different. I'll get used to it. Everything feels well balanced when driving. I have 19 inchers on my G compared to the 18 inch wheels in the Benz and they looks much smaller than that to me. The car overall drives and handles very well but not as sporty the G. I'll take the Benz anyday..
I have read that a lot of folks arent' happy that they took the gear selector away from the center console. I was concerned too, but this new set up works extremely well. Easy to use and it's seamless in it feel when changing gears.
The exterior of the 500 is something special. This one came with the full LED light package and that is a must have just for the looks alone. the body work in the front and sides is differntly than the E350 and has a more AMG inspired look. The new AMG wheels are awesome too. you have to see the car in person to truly appreciate the styling changes for 2014. just wanted to share my thoughs. Thanks for reading..
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the review...

I'm not sure the 2014 is worth the extra $15k+ for a used 2012 E550.

If you can afford it, go for it.. but if you are stretching your budget.. a 2012/2013 should be offer a great discount.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S 560, C 63 S Cabriolet
+1 on this

I recently went with an extra low mileage 2012 E550 Cab and saved $15k+.

But if you have the extra coin to spare, go for it.

Originally Posted by TopGun32
Thanks for the review...

I'm not sure the 2014 is worth the extra $15k+ for a used 2012 E550.

If you can afford it, go for it.. but if you are stretching your budget.. a 2012/2013 should be offer a great discount.