E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

What brand gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 coupe
What brand gas do you use?

There's an ARCO near my house, and they are always 20 cents per gallon cheaper for premium unleaded 91 or 92 octane. My friend suggested I not use their gas since it's "not as good as other brands". I'm certainly willing to pay extra for another brand of gas if it keeps my engine cleaner and running smoother.

I've filled up with Chevron with Techron the past two times. The last tank gave me about 30 more miles before the low fuel light went off. I usually get about 300 miles to the tank, and this time I got 330. Although I did not change how I drove, I'll admit I didn't strictly keep track to see if there was any difference in the highway vs. city miles I did.

Will keep using Chevron and see if this is a consistent result. Besides the added peace of mind that the Techron additive is possibly keeping my engine cleaner, the improved fuel efficiency, if real, would more than offset the cost difference.

What brand of gas are you guys out there using? Any good or bad experiences with a particular brand?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:15 AM

'13 E550 Cabriolet
I normally use 76. (Phillips/Conoco to those in the Midwest/East). If I can not get 76, I use another Top Tier Gasoline http://www.toptiergas.com/ . As far as mileage, I do keep track (using an Android app) and about the only clear difference I have seen between brands was in Texas/Oklahoma, some Phillips/Conoco stations had real gas (no 90/10 mix) and I did see about 8 - 12% better mileage.

I would probably use Arco AM/PM except they do not take credit cards, only debit as a cost saving measure. I have several "cash rewards" type cards and one of them always gives at least 3% (and up to 5%) back on fuel, so that puts them about equal to everybody else. For the same price, I get a "top tier" gas.

In California and most parts west of New Mexico, we can not get 93 Octane, we get at most 91. I'm not sure why that is.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 AM

2012 E350 coupe
Thanks for your input, Gerry. Maybe I'll give 76 a try.

ARCO in Seattle accepts credit cards, although it's 10 cents more per gallon than their cash or debit price. Even so, their price is 20-40 cents cheaper per gallon than a top tier gas.

I shop at Safeway, and for every $100 I spend, I get 10 cents/gallon off at Chevron for that fill-up.