E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2010 E350 coupe: winter tires for a RWD car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:33 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
2010 E350 coupe: winter tires for a RWD car

Winter's not too far away. I'm not from a snowy locale, but I'm living in one for a few years.

I don't want to get a winter beater, and I'm trying to avoid getting a second set of wheels on which to mount dedicated snow tires. I'd prefer all-seasons to save from having to switch back and forth and/or keeping tires hanging around in my garage, but I also don't like car accidents. What I do will have me coming and going at all hours.

Michelin Primacy MXM4 all-seasons are currently on the vehicle, and I'm planning on sandbagging the trunk a bit if need be for axle weight. Does anyone have any winter experience with that particular rubber, and if not, any recs on preferable all-season tires, or snow tires if need be, for a RWD E-coupe for the season?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Cab
Originally Posted by exi
Winter's not too far away. I'm not from a snowy locale, but I'm living in one for a few years.

I don't want to get a winter beater, and I'm trying to avoid getting a second set of wheels on which to mount dedicated snow tires. I'd prefer all-seasons to save from having to switch back and forth and/or keeping tires hanging around in my garage, but I also don't like car accidents. What I do will have me coming and going at all hours.

Michelin Primacy MXM4 all-seasons are currently on the vehicle, and I'm planning on sandbagging the trunk a bit if need be for axle weight. Does anyone have any winter experience with that particular rubber, and if not, any recs on preferable all-season tires, or snow tires if need be, for a RWD E-coupe for the season?
I don't know where you live. I live in MN and for my wife's ClK I used to change out to Bizzacks on their own wheels. Just got her a 2114 E350'Cab.
When it snows she usually doesn't go out till they plow the roads so I'm going to see if we can get by on the Perrelli all seasons that came on the car.
I got Michlean Alpins for my 997 Porsche for winter but that is only because the P Zero are useless below 50 degees. I went to 18 inch wheels for the winter tires instead of 19 on summer tires. If the weather really gets bad I just drive my 4Runner.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Coupe
I had the MXM4's on last year and had a difficult time with traction in a little snow in my E550. I decided to go with dedicated snows this year and hope the result is good.

I would say that if you have to come and go at all hours and need the reliability, then get the snows and be done with it. You obviously can't plan to always be out on maintained roads and I would think that you'd be better off with dedicated snows.

In terms of storage, have you considered a tire shop or Mercedes dealer that provides tire storage for a nominal fee? You don't have to worry about transporting the tires home and finding a place for them.