E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need help: What is a "Sport Package"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Cabriolet 2002 CLK Cabriolet
Need help: What is a "Sport Package"?

I'm very close to buying a new E350 Cab but cannot get a straight answer on what is a "Sport Package". On one hand it always included a "Sport tuned suspension" amongst other things. In 2014 it comes with some really nice stuff like AMG wheels, different rotors and calipers, multi-function seats (very nice). But the car looks lowered so are the shocks and ride going to be crisper and harsher? It's a deal breaker for someone like me with back problems. However, I drove a two cabriolets today, with and without the sports package and they seem to ride the same. So is the ride the same and the rest is "Sport" type upgrades?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
The E350 sports package is predominately mostly cosmetic enhancements, if you have the proverbial back issue then don't go for 19" wheels, the 18" ride well and the 17" (which I have on for winter) make it softer still but does not impede road holding that much......
The Sport does offer better throttle response and short shifts etc. on the transmission for pace, clearly with drilled rotors on the front which are slightly larger than stock.
The suspension set up on Mercedes generally does not alter that much until you get into the AMG versions of the cars.....on each model !
You see I have the 350cdi Cab, and to be candid you cannot go wrong, just makes sure you get the wood trim pieces as the aluminium looks a bit naff!!!!!

One little trick to gain more pace is to reset the ECU, as the car learns your driving style it gets set into the ECU over time. If you switch the ignition to pos 2 with you foot flooring the throttle for 30-45 secs then release switch off and then start the engine, the ECU begins the learning process again, but what you immediately notice is that the car just rockets..........at the throttle. Works every time......yes you can reset as often as you like......

Last edited by theraven333; 12-18-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Hey thanks Raven. So really the suspension is the same so that's key. The seats in the Sports package are better as well. Here in the states the car comes with 18" wheels and a 40 aspect ratio on the tires so I guess the ride is the same. I like your idea of the 17" wheels and I assume all season tires for winter. Thanks again, this really helps me decide what to buy.

Fletch
Old 12-18-2013, 11:14 AM

I just found out there is a " Sport" and "Luxury" multilink suspension available but most of the Cabs in the states come with the sport version. I assume it's the same shocks but maybe a more aggressive spring rate. I guess if this really bothers me I could just change the springs providing I Stay within the spec range or use the luxury version parts.