E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Abnormal Rattle Noise from Rear Suspension?

Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Alfa Giulia gone, 2004 e55 amg gone,2014 E550 coupe white,2010 E550 coupe white, 2018 giulia ti
Question Abnormal Rattle Noise from Rear Suspension?

Anyone ever hear of this before? I have a 2010 E550 coupe, 34000 miles, with a quite annoying clanking/ rattling sound coming from the right rear at low speeds over rough roads. Inside the car it sounds like a clunking noise and outside with the windows down it sounds like a metallic clanking noise. Two different dealers looked at the car and diagnosed it to be shocks. Neither replacement corrected the noise. It can be quite annoying and embarrassing, especially when driving around town. Stabilizer bar seems to be ok and mufflers seem tight...Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
You mentioned every part that I would have guessed. :/
Old 05-19-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C250
Hey, I don't have an E coupe but have a very similar problem on my w204, and thought I would throw some ideas out there. The best way for me to describe the issue is it sounds like a metallic, metal-on-metal clank. Sounds like I'm pulling a trailer behind me or something.

A few thousand miles ago, my dealer checked my parking brake and told me part of the mechanism was loose and rattling against the calipers. They replaced a pin in the parking brake assembly and that seemed to work until recently. I will probably take it to the dealer in a couple of weeks to have them check all of the bushings in the control arms, differential, and check the brakes again. Its a real annoying sound (especially obvious with the windows down or from outside the vehicle as it drives by) but I don't think it is anything major. I also noticed my car is exceptionally loud/clunky when shifting from reverse to drive. I am hoping the remedy is just adding some lube to the bushings

Last edited by strangebrew; 05-19-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Alfa Giulia gone, 2004 e55 amg gone,2014 E550 coupe white,2010 E550 coupe white, 2018 giulia ti
Originally Posted by strangebrew
Hey, I don't have an E coupe but have a very similar problem on my w204, and thought I would throw some ideas out there. The best way for me to describe the issue is it sounds like a metallic, metal-on-metal clank. Sounds like I'm pulling a trailer behind me or something.

A few thousand miles ago, my dealer checked my parking brake and told me part of the mechanism was loose and rattling against the calipers. They replaced a pin in the parking brake assembly and that seemed to work until recently. I will probably take it to the dealer in a couple of weeks to have them check all of the bushings in the control arms, differential, and check the brakes again. Its a real annoying sound (especially obvious with the windows down or from outside the vehicle as it drives by) but I don't think it is anything major. I also noticed my car is exceptionally loud/clunky when shifting from reverse to drive. I am hoping the remedy is just adding some lube to the bushings
Thanks for the tip.. The dealer rechecked it today. They ended up replacing the parking brake shoes and hardware and it looks like those noise is all gone.. I'm soo happy. I was almost ready to sell the car... LOL
Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C250
Originally Posted by e55amg00
Thanks for the tip.. The dealer rechecked it today. They ended up replacing the parking brake shoes and hardware and it looks like those noise is all gone.. I'm soo happy. I was almost ready to sell the car... LOL

good to hear! I know, it was almost embarrassing to drive around with that constant clanging. Can't wait to take mine back to the shop in a few weeks.