E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Trim issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes E350 CD Iridium silver convertible 2010
Trim issue

So there I was cleaning the car, wiping down the drivers side rear window with the top down for ease, ran my cloth over the chrome trim and the window rubber and pop in the corner a piece about an inch long dropped into the car, totally un-accessible, ha well !! will go and get a new piece to replace it, cannot be that expensive???? it's only an inch ! WRONG !!!! In UK terms nearly £70 inc vat...........why you may ask, because it comes glued to the chrome trim that runs along the window line.....
SO hear my advice be careful when wipe down along this area or yours could go pop!!!!
Old 05-19-2015, 04:36 PM
lxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Cabrolet
Really!
I clean that way all the time. A little tough to visualize where this happened by your post. Can you add a pic. Sorry to hear about that. Thanks for the warning.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E400d 4Matic AMG Line Premium Plus 9G-Tronic WHITE (W213) 2019
Originally Posted by theraven333
So there I was cleaning the car, wiping down the drivers side rear window with the top down for ease, ran my cloth over the chrome trim and the window rubber and pop in the corner a piece about an inch long dropped into the car, totally un-accessible, ha well !! will go and get a new piece to replace it, cannot be that expensive???? it's only an inch ! WRONG !!!! In UK terms nearly £70 inc vat...........why you may ask, because it comes glued to the chrome trim that runs along the window line.....
SO hear my advice be careful when wipe down along this area or yours could go pop!!!!
Wow! That's exactly how I clean mine... please upload a pic, thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 06:33 AM

Hi guys here are a couple of pics
one is the drivers side with it missing the other is the passenger side which is still in place!!!! You can see it is glued to the chrome strip only!!!
Just for info this stops excessive water getting into the car, the water does not literally go into the car but the compartment inner within the car shell, the excess water actually vacates the car via drain holes in the base of the long sill !!!!!

Also from experience if these drain holes become blocked, you will hear water sloshing around as you drive, had this problem and it was my dealer that cleared the problem.......
Attached Thumbnails Trim issue-imag0311-2-.jpg   Trim issue-imag0316-2-.jpg  

Last edited by theraven333; 05-20-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:35 AM

E400d 4Matic AMG Line Premium Plus 9G-Tronic WHITE (W213) 2019
Hi guys here is a couple of pics
one is the drivers side with it missing the other is the passenger side which is still in place!!!! You can see it is glued to the chrome strip only!!!
Thanks.

£70??

Madness!
Old 05-20-2015, 07:23 AM

I did try a temp fix by supergluing a piece of rubber as a replacement, but the window actually rides against this as it goes up and down and the roof, when closed, actually sits on this piece. So after a few attempts have given up and have ordered the whole trim piece, as it is a long piece will have to take my time, I believe it only a press fit and no clips..........
I have seen a plastic tool for removing long pieces of trim, especially along the window line but it is £50 to buy...... is ever anything simple and cheap aaargh!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:04 AM
lxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Cabrolet
Great post.
Thank you.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 AM

Part arrived today and whilst the original fault is just a small piece of rubber, the strip comes with the window rubber connected.......
Now the bad news fitted it myself, removed the old one easily, BUT when I tapped in the new piece did not realise how soft the chrome strip is so have dented it in 3 places AAAAAAAAAAArgh..... it is staying on on for now just not let my eyes drag over it!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
murphy's law...just be more careful next time.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:55 AM

2013 E350 Cabriolet
Part arrived today and whilst the original fault is just a small piece of rubber, the strip comes with the window rubber connected.......
Now the bad news fitted it myself, removed the old one easily, BUT when I tapped in the new piece did not realise how soft the chrome strip is so have dented it in 3 places AAAAAAAAAAArgh..... it is staying on on for now just not let my eyes drag over it!!!!!!!!
Sorry for bringing back up the old topic.

How is the chrome trim below the rear sind window removed properly? Just pull on it? Or use a plastic lever and loosen it inch by inch?

Also, does anyone have any recommendation (or an official MB manual) how to put the new piece on properly without denting? Somewere I read to simply use water to slip it on.

Thanks a lot!
Old 03-07-2017, 06:32 AM

The piece comes of with a little effort you prize it off. Now putting the new one on, the mistake I made was using a plastic hammer to tap it on, wrong !!! You maybe able to press it on with hands perhaps using soapy water, but if I did it again I would use a piece of wood the same length and run it down as I was tapping the wood not the chrome piece!!! You do need to line it up correctly before you fit as once on you do not want to take it off!!!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:38 AM

2013 E350 Cabriolet
The piece comes of with a little effort you prize it off. Now putting the new one on, the mistake I made was using a plastic hammer to tap it on, wrong !!! You maybe able to press it on with hands perhaps using soapy water, but if I did it again I would use a piece of wood the same length and run it down as I was tapping the wood not the chrome piece!!! You do need to line it up correctly before you fit as once on you do not want to take it off!!!

Thanks. Hope it will go well.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM

2013 E350 Cabriolet
Just a quick feedback: The trim comes off pretty easy and I was able to push the new one one just with my hands, no dents

It is important to be careful not to scratch the paint with the end of the trim piece while you start pulling it off on the other end.