E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Electronic Steering Lock Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe
Electronic Steering Lock Failure!

Over the past weekend, I went to drive my E550 and found that I could not get the car to turn over / start.

- The car recognized my key.
- I could lock/unlock the car.
- I could turn on the lights and Command
- Keyless Go did not fully work.
- No warning on the instrument cluster.
- Inserting a key vs Keyless Go showed that I could insert the key and turn it, but regardless of the key position, nothing else appears on the instrument cluster.
- I tried my spare key, same issue.
- I called MB Road Assistance who confirmed that the battery was in good order.
- Car had to be towed to the dealership.

- Dealership diagnosed the issue as an Electronic Steering Lock module failure.

Looking around the forums, this appears to be a common issue with the W204 C350's in particular, so I guess given the shared technology, it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise. My car has just over 60K on the odometer and has been running without hitch until this.

Took the tech 6.5 hours to complete the work:
Customer states would not start. Lights etc work but no crank.
Steering seems locked. Towed in. Advise CK (check) for no start. CK battery and charging system. CK function of both keys. CK EIS.
Found Electric Steering Lock is defective. R+R Steering column. Replaced lock. Coded Reck. OK.

Total cost - $1229 (although I got a slight discount on that in the end). I don't have an extended warranty on the car so not sure if it would have been covered under that.

On a side note, I had a brand new GLA as a loaner. I was pretty under-whelmed, although granted it was a base model. I didn't like the Economy / Engine shut off mode all that much, but would have probably got used to it.

I did like the black 19" rims and the hood which had some ripples/curves on it. Outside of that though, the GLA didn't take my interest.