E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Tilt wheel doesn't go up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 e350 cabriolet, 2017 e300 4matic atic,
Tilt wheel doesn't go up or down

The tilt wheel feature on my 2011 E350 Cabriolet stopped working the other day. Exactly one year ago the same thing happened, the dealer said it had to be retrained to the tune of $115.00 and it was fine for a year. This also affects the easy entry feature. I saw somewhere that this can be caused by low voltage. Had the battery checked and I'm getting 12.3 volts. Any one else have a similar problem.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2014 S550, 2019 GTC Coupe
Originally Posted by marctep
The tilt wheel feature on my 2011 E350 Cabriolet stopped working the other day. Exactly one year ago the same thing happened, the dealer said it had to be retrained to the tune of $115.00 and it was fine for a year. This also affects the easy entry feature. I saw somewhere that this can be caused by low voltage. Had the battery checked and I'm getting 12.3 volts. Any one else have a similar problem.
I had the same problem in my 2014 and the dealer just said they reset it as it had thrown a code. I don't know if you can do it without the computer they use. Maybe someone can clarify.
The following users liked this post:
marctep (12-13-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550
My battery died the other day (I don't know how) but I had a tow truck jump the car and it's been fine since, only the tilt wheel does not lower when I start the car for the first time each day, all I have to do is manually lower it just a little, then press the memory button on the door and it will go into position. Then after that it will be fine for the rest of the day, it will go up and down. But then when I park overnight, the next morning it will not go down on it's own. So it does seem like it's related to your battery voltage.
marctep (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 12:53 AM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2014 S550, 2019 GTC Coupe
Originally Posted by Mookish
My battery died the other day (I don't know how) but I had a tow truck jump the car and it's been fine since, only the tilt wheel does not lower when I start the car for the first time each day, all I have to do is manually lower it just a little, then press the memory button on the door and it will go into position. Then after that it will be fine for the rest of the day, it will go up and down. But then when I park overnight, the next morning it will not go down on it's own. So it does seem like it's related to your battery voltage.
Actually, when your battery died it reset the system. It's not a voltage thing. The reason it does not auto tilt now is you have to change the setting to entry exit raise the steering wheel. It's default is off so when the battery died it went back to default. Mine stopped moving even manually and the dealer reset it.
marctep (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550
Originally Posted by 550x2
Actually, when your battery died it reset the system. It's not a voltage thing. The reason it does not auto tilt now is you have to change the setting to entry exit raise the steering wheel. It's default is off so when the battery died it went back to default. Mine stopped moving even manually and the dealer reset it.
Not true, the battery never completed drained, it just didn't have enough power to start the car. So the settings never changed. Even with a fully charged battery the entry/exit function still acts up, but only on the first start of the day. It got too annoying so I turned it off. I can get in/out of the care just fine without it.