E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ESP functioning?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
ESP functioning?

My 2014 E 350 cab acts as if the ESP is not on. When accelerating from a stop it will easily spin the rear tires even in E mode, not S.

The display panel in the speedometer indicates ESP is on. However, The tires spun on me again today taking off on damp pavement. I did not accelerate quickly, and to my mind this should not have happened. The tires all have very good tread and are properly sized.

Does anyone else have this problem? The car is new to me and I wondered if this is characteristic of this model.

It is still in warranty so I am thinking of letting the dealer check it out. Shouldn't the ESP keep this from occurring?
Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
You can certainly have the dealership check it out to see if the electronics are working properly. Not a biggie to schedule, if this happens to you often. Maybe the dealer can also check if all the ECU / TCU software is up to date in your vehicle while its there. Just a thought.

When you say accelerating from a stop on damp pavement do you mean normal acceleration or punching it? Depending on the type of tires you have mounted on your car (run flats, all season, various different brands), this can affect how much the ESP can compensate for as these cars don't a LSD. I personally don't have this problem in either style of driving and I've had my car for over two years, but I've learned how far I can push things in the vehicle. Generally holds the road quite well for a 4,000 lb. car, but it is not going to perform like either an AMG or a Porsche.

Are all the tires inflated to the proper levels as specified by the inside of the gas cap?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E550 Cab
Originally Posted by 2150john
The display panel in the speedometer indicates ESP is on.
To confirm, when you get the slippage the ESP light comes on? as in briefly flashing?

That, I have experienced: wheel slippage and flashing ESP light when pulling away, in situations where you wouldn't think it would happen (not punching it). I experience it maybe once a month. Yes, it's surprising, albeit less so on a 550.

If your ESP was turned off, there is an "ESP Off" light.

If your ESP was malfunctioning you would get ESP Light + ESP Off light + COMAND message.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
When you say accelerating from a stop on damp pavement do you mean normal acceleration or punching it?
Normal acceleration. Certainly not punching it. I don't think tires are an issue. Inflation and tread wear were my first thoughts. But they both are good.

To confirm, when you get the slippage the ESP light comes on? as in briefly flashing?
No, I have never had the ESP icon flash. It only came on when I went into settings and turned ESP off. I did that just to check that ESP was actually turned on in settings. When ESP is turned on the icon is not lit.

Yes, if I were in a 550 I would not be as surprised. I had a GT mustang that would often have rear wheel slippage even with the ESP on. I had a clk350 cab before I got the E. It never had wheel slippage unless in sport mode and making a "jack rabbit" start. Thus the E350 has surprised me.

I am thinking I will have a dealer check it out. Although MB dealers seem to milk service visits for every penny and are not my favorite spots.