E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E350 Cabriolet - HELP! Massive tyre wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml280 2008
Angry E350 Cabriolet - HELP! Massive tyre wear

Please can anyone help?

I purchased my w207 e350 in March this year. It's the 3ltr V6 diesel AMG 2014
Within a week of buying had the wheels balanced and tracking/alignment adjusted. After 7k miles the front tyres have worn as shown in the pictures. This is Horrific and caused a puncture. When I returned to get tyre fitters they said that the alignment was only out a touch! I visited my Merc dealership as car is not 3 years old until sept, they were not that helpful but agreed to inspect the car next week for any suspension faults.

Tyres are 235/45/ZR19

Very worried as I bought this car to use for business covering 28k miles per year, all straight line driving.
E350 Cabriolet - HELP! Massive tyre wear-img_4495.jpgE350 Cabriolet - HELP! Massive tyre wear-img_4499.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4495.JPG
Views:	897
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	358790

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4499.JPG
Views:	866
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	358791
Old 07-17-2017, 12:45 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Could be new car industry’s best kept secret (even exotic BMW ‘M’, Mercedes ‘AMG’ or Porsche ‘991’).... all dealers or alignment shops have to work with is Front and Rear TOE (directional adjustment).

No longer is there Front Camber and Caster or Rear Camber (and extra Toe) to change tire “contact angles”.

OK if vehicle maintained and driven at showroom height, but day to day commuting encountering high cambered roads, altered height through lowering, load carrying or suspension sag, fitting wide profile tyres, curb knock damage – the feature of having front and rear “ongoing Camber adjustment” capability is essential along with front Caster to “correctly resolve” steering pull and improve brake and steering response.

We saw the need therefore to design, manufacture (and reinstate from the early 90’s) kits that provide “precise/full” adjustment. The K-MAC patented design is single wrench – accurately under load, direct on alignment rack. Also replacing the 4 front and 4 rear highest wearing suspension bushings at the same time. Result is no more ongoing trips to dealers or alignment shops or constantly changing tire brands. Fixing it right the 1st time!

For the front (only) you can purchase fluted bolts – but they are inaccurate have ONE ONLY OFFSET POSITION.... providing only 3mm (1/8”) which is a minimal 0.3 degree change. The K-MAC design allows up to 3 times this adjustment range and is precise accurate, adjustable on car.

Rear kits also provide Camber (and additional rear Toe adjustment to compensate for the new Camber facility). We do not manufacture rear Camber arms – as difficult to fit, access and adjust. Also to resolve premature inner edge tire wear need to reduce all important clearance top of tire to outer fender. Instead the K-MAC design replaces the “lower arm inner bushes” moving base of tire inwards (or outwards to increase negative camber/track width). Comes with bush extraction tool allowing the camber bushes to be installed on vehicle.

The front bushings are 2 axis/self aligning but without the oil and air voids of OEM. Result is noticeably improved brake and steering response. No modifications to fit – come with instructions and extraction/insertion tubes.

Also manufactured for the rear suspension is a full set of replacement bushings for the 6 multi link arms. Providing significant improvements to rear end stability. Less flex/twitch, increased traction especially when applying power lane changing/overtaking.

NOTE: For performance driving/track days (coil spring suspension models) also manufactured are front replacement strut tops - precise Camber and Caster – fast /accurate adjustable from engine bay (no modifications).

Provide up to (additional) 3.5 degrees negative Camber adjustment to reduce understeer in the pursuit of front row of the grid lap times. Hitting those corner apex’s every time and allowing to go deeper into the corners with increased traction and braking response.

Available in Stage 2 (Street/Race) or Stage 3 (Full Race).... all the K-MAC features – very highest aircraft grade aluminium, extra H/Duty self align spherical bearings (PTFE lined), and replaceable. Then separate radial thrust bearings for steering loads also preventing spring drag/binding. Designed to fit OEM diameter springs or all brands of coil overs 60 to 70mm ID.

A207, C207
Front Camber and Caster Bush kit #502616K $480
Strut Tops
Stage 2 (Street/Race) #503016-2L $545
Stage3 (Full Race) #503016-3L $545

Rear Camber (and extra Toe) bush kit #502226K $480
Rear multi link arms performance bush kit #502628K $480

Delivery $30 one or $20 each additional kit (average delivery time is 3 to 4 days). We accept PayPal, Visa or MasterCard.

E350 Cabriolet - HELP! Massive tyre wear-502616-cover.jpg E350 Cabriolet - HELP! Massive tyre wear-502226-cover.jpg
Old 07-17-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by Samsterbondie
Please can anyone help?

Within a week of buying had the wheels balanced and tracking/alignment adjusted. After 7k miles the front tyres have worn as shown in the pictures. This is Horrific and caused a puncture. When I returned to get tyre fitters they said that the alignment was only out a touch! I visited my Merc dealership as car is not 3 years old until sept, they were not that helpful but agreed to inspect the car next week for any suspension faults.

Tyres are 235/45/ZR19

Very worried as I bought this car to use for business covering 28k miles per year, all straight line driving.
Attachment 358790Attachment 358791Attachment 358790

Attachment 358791
Are both front tires worn like this? I once had an issue with one front tire. I found out when I took the car to the dealer for other service. The dealer pointed out to me and told me the tie rod needs to be replaced for $1K! I took it to a tire dealer and was told the tire was defective.

Yours could be defective tires. No bad alignment will cause this kind of unusual wear. Take the car to a tire dealer (not the one you bought from) and see what they say. If the tires are defective, you can file for tire warranty.

Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-17-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Samsterbondie
Please can anyone help?

Tyres are 235/45/ZR19

Attachment 358790Attachment 358791Attachment 358790

Attachment 358791
I have been working with tires for many years and I agree with Flash_Gordon that poor wheel alignment cannot create this type of wear alone. The wear goes too far down into the sidewall. If only this one tire on your car shows such wear then it is probably a rare manufacturing anomaly in the tire. Possibly the tread rubber was not centered well when the tire was built. Looks like a warranty claim for the tire manufacturer.