E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Test Drive 2018 E400 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet
Test Drive 2018 E400 Coupe

Just test drove the new 2018 E400 Coupe. AMG trim and P3 thanks Dhrumil Brahmbhatt of Wilmington Mercedes Benz. Nice ride. Compared to my '11 E350 a bit of a Tiger although the electronic steering takes some getting used to. Drove Dynamic setting comfort then Sport+ and what a huge difference. Sport+ is "Beast Mode" and I would probably opt for the regular Sport mode. Don't like some of the lines of the car, especially the shoulders and rear. Miss the aggressive look of my current AMG Code 772 E350 Cabriolet. The newer Benz designs are what I call "Storm Trooper" and less elegant like the older pre-facelift designs of the E series. The best upshot: technology and the new interior design. I would buy one on just that alone.... or wait for the E55 Cabo due in '19. If you have a E550, hold onto it as there will not be a n eight twin turbo in the future of E series. I would buy an '17 E550 today... if I could find one
Old 08-10-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Before I bought my coupe this past April. I was looking for the E550 also. There were some in my area ( Central and North Jersey have a lot of dealers). Unfortunately, they were black and white colors, not my colors.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'13 S5 Coupe
Yesterday I drove to my local dealer to check out a CPO '17 Sport Edition (Brilliant Blue) as a potential 'filler' until MB decides whether or not they are going to come out with their faux AMG variant (now expected to be designated the E53), which I wouldn't expect to see for another year or so. Car was parked next to an Iridium Silver '18 (don't much care for the color). Yes, the '18 doesn't look as muscular, especially when comparing the rear quarter panels of the two, and it does look a bit less aggressive when viewing the two head on ... add to that the rear bumper covers more acreage than the outgoing model and looks like its wearing "high waisted" pants when compared to the '17. Figured there was probably < 10% chance of my making an offer for it. Drove the '17, and was convinced there wasn't enough there for me to give the car any further consideration ... even if only for a year of so.

Then I took out the '18. What a difference between the two! The car just felt much more solidly put together. The most amazing part to me was how subtle but noticeably different the sensations were when shifting between the modes (comfort, sport, sport+). Mostly seat of the pants feelings, but definitely noticeable and not intrusive in any way. Main reason for the trip in the first place was to get a first hand visual of an Emerald Green unit they have on the lot (one of only a few in the region), and to audition the Burmester audio system (I don't know what the problem is with this system in the C43's, but once dialed in I found it to be head and shoulders above your typical offerings from Bose etc). Believe anybody considering an '18 but is otherwise concerned with the outer appearance should try to do a back-to-back if possible, and then make your decision. Now considering a 2-3 year lease, which should give the powers that be at MB to decided whether/if/or when they will release the faux AMG E Coupe.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 cabriolet and 2017 CLS 550
I agree that the looks of the replaced model, with the "ponton" rear fenders is a better overall look. I have a '14 550 cabrio and the performance is outstanding. Too bad the 550 engine, with its great growl and responsiveness, was discontinued across the E line. I'll keep my '14...