E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Did I just get hit with a golf ball?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe
Did I just get hit with a golf ball?

Went out to the local park for my jog. Got in my car to go home. The park is a 3 mile oval with a 1/2 golf course inside the loop. There is also a driving range. As I drove along the driving range (which I have done over a hundred times) I heard a BIG knock at the back of my car. It was so loud I spun my head around and then my heart sunk into my stomach. About a second, or two later, the same sound only not as loud. What the ???? Am I being targeted?

I drive past the range and pull over. Knowing my new car has a huge crater someone along the side of the car I sneak around to see. Nothing. I can't find anything! I had to have gotten hit. It was SO VERY LOUD!. It truly sounded like Tiger himself swung a club against my car like a baseball bat.

Could it have hit one of the cars parallel parked along the side of the road? Did it bounce off a car and hit another car? Or did it hit so hard it bent the metal of a car and the second sound was the metal rebounding back out?

It's been three days and I'm still not over it. I still think I'm going to walk around my car and find a huge divot in the metal somewhere. I even thought it could have hit the back windshield. But it would have certainly shattered it, no?

Last edited by RickInHouston; 08-14-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 e350 convertable
Maybe you did but just lucky no damage. Maybe it hit the undercarriage? That could have made the same noise. Hopefully you never find a dent on your car.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:19 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
Not so lucky.

Found it

Luckily, it doesn't show nearly as badly as it could have... It's on the roof between the passenger door and the sunroof. Right on the metal in between. If it was on the sunroof, it surely would have shattered it.

I went to the park today. The net is so very high on that side. I'm thinking whoever did it was trying to drive a ball over the net to see if they could.
Attached Thumbnails Did I just get hit with a golf ball?-golf-ball-ding.jpg  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 e350 convertable
Dammmmmmmm.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350cdi coupe
That black strip is plastic and pops off easily, just start at the back and pull up.

I replaced one of mine due to a split seal, cost about £80. You could also try heating it with a hair dryer and then push the dent from the back, I suspect it might then pop out.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:57 PM

2017 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by Stu Cars
That black strip is plastic and pops off easily, just start at the back and pull up.

I replaced one of mine due to a split seal, cost about £80. You could also try heating it with a hair dryer and then push the dent from the back, I suspect it might then pop out.
Hey, thanks!

Maybe that's why I heard two pops a second apart. Maybe it popped in further, then popped out (second sound I heard).
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E550 Coupe and 2010 E350 Sedan
I was going to say, maybe it was off the pano roof or something. Hope you are able to get it fixed or fixed it yourself easily.