E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2011 E550 Tranny Issues NEED HELP! $8K in work needed??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55K AMG
2011 E550 Tranny Issues NEED HELP! $8K in work needed??

Hello all,
I'm posting this for my brother in hopes that we can figure out what's going with his car and what he should do. I'm a W211 E55k owner and i'm more active on the Facebook group. Additionally, I do not know much about the C207 platform.

Here it is; the car is a 2011 E550 coupe with 80k miles. He's had the car for approximately 7 months with no issues. It was a two owner car purchased out of Florida with regularly maintained service records. I will add, he did not purchase an extended warranty with the car. The records show that the last tranny service was at 59k.

Two weeks ago he took the car in to a reputable repair shop, the same one he's been using for regular oil changes, to have the oil changed. The next day he noticed that the transmission changing behavior from gear to gear was abnormal. He called me and we took it down the street. It can only be described as a slight slip(or hiccup) just before a gear change throughout all gears. He took it back to the shop and they just recommended a tranny service, of course.

The car is now at a MB dealer here in TN and they have diagnosed it as "something they have never seen before." They have given him an estimate of $7,500 to repair the vehicle. Components needing to be replaced includes a new radiato(?), new transmission for $3,300(ok, i kind of get that one)a new water cooler w/expansion tank for $600(?), and a new torque converter for $1,082. Those are the big ticket items. The MB dealership has offered a discount of $800 as a "sorry about your luck" kind of deal.

I'm hoping that someone can give me some direction to give to him. Should he bite the bullet and pay the eight grand, basically, or is there an alternative? Thank you all for any advice or suggestions you can offer.

-Brandon
Old 09-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I would get a second and third opinion from two reputable independent mechanics

the benz stealer is taking you for a ride
Old 09-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55K AMG
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I would get a second and third opinion from two reputable independent mechanics

the benz stealer is taking you for a ride
I could not agree with you anymore. MB has told my brother that they have had to order this machine from Germany to do the diagnosis, but cannot pinpoint the problem. This is my problem. I haven't talked to the service advisor or his manager yet, but what I can't understand is how you can hand someone a $8k estimate and say we've never seen this issue before?? That's just crazy to me. I need to know exactly what caused the issue so i can better understand the repairs.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Additionally you can also take to another reputable Benz dealer and I promise you the number for repair will be much smaller

if it IS somehow that extensive after all is said and done then get rid of it
Old 09-16-2017, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
Did they at least provide you with the error codes that their scanner (STAR) picked. He should have been given a printout that will have all the details.

Post it if possible so we understand better what's wrong with the tranny.