E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Engine cut out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C207
Engine cut out

Hi all and sorry for the long post,

I had been away for the weekend down to a coastal resort with my C207, 2009 E350 and something strange occurred. On the drive home I had driven to the resort's office to check out. I switched the ignition off for my wife to go and check out. When she arrived I turned the ignition on, it started then cut out. I did not think it strange at the time and re ignited it and started no problem and I then drove off down the road. I had travelled about 1 klm when I decided to pull over as I could hear that I collected some loose stones in the tyres treads from the prior days' travelling and I wanted them out. So I stopped, put it into park, hand brake on, turned the ignition off, got out of the car and cleared some stones out. I re-entered the car again, turned the ignition, it started, then it cut itself off. I turned the ignition on again and this time the engine did not turn over. Nothing, but the lights on the dashboard where on. So I switched the car off completely, waited for 30 seconds or so then re attempted the start. It then started as if nothing had occurred. Not wanting to test fate, I slipped the car into gear and drove for the next hour and half home. No further problems. Got home, parked the car in my garage and left it there for the next few hours. I then attempted to start the car, and it started, no problem. I did the same test another hour later, and it started no problem.

My first thoughts were that it was out of fuel, not so as I had a good half tank remaining. Then I thought starter motor, but it turned over. However where the ignition was turned on and there was no starter turnover I have no answer for.

Does anybody have any idea what could have caused the issues I had experienced? It is scheduled for a service at my local indie in two weeks so I'll get their feedback.

Thanks in advance!