E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

How do I read the consumption display?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E400C4
Question How do I read the consumption display?

I can't seem to find a good description (or anything useful in the manual) about how to read this - sorry for potato image:

Questions about the bit circled in yellow:

1. What does "⌀ from start" mean?
2. What does the little triangle represent
3. What does whatever the bar is filled to represent?

Thanks in advance or if you have a link to where this info exists
Old 10-31-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I have a 2016 model, but I doubt this has changed in any meaningful way.

The "From Start" indicator confused the heck out of me as well; I didn't understand the difference between "From Start" and "From Reset", but the dealer explained it. "From Start" means from the start of the current trip, including stopping and then restarting the engine again within four hours (if more than four hours passes since the engine was shut off, the "From Start" data records are reset to zero). The "From Start" data is automatically calculated by the car's computer and the driver cannot control it. However, "From Reset" literally means from the last time the driver manually reset the trip meter; the driver controls this calculation.

As an example of "From Start" data, let's say that you start your car and drive to a gas station, shut off the engine and fill your tank, and then start the car again and drive to work. All data regarding average MPG, average MPH, distance traveled, etc., will be calculated based on the time when the engine was running during the aforementioned itinerary. However, if you then park your car at work and don't restart it again until eight hours later when your work day is over, all of the "From Start" data records from earlier that day will be wiped out and reset to zero for your drive home because the engine was off for more than four hours.

The bar is simply a graphical representation of fuel economy from 0 MPG to 60 MPG. The yellow, down-pointing arrow indicates your average fuel consumption on the bar scale (in this screen shot, it looks to be about 23 MPG).

Last edited by Mr. Toad; 10-31-2017 at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Agency (10-31-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E400C4
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, that is super helpful and answers all my questions cheers!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by Agency
Wow, thanks for the comprehensive reply, that is super helpful and answers all my questions cheers!