E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

E350 M276 engine coolant loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 Cabriolet
E350 M276 engine coolant loss

Hi guys,

a couple weeks ago I got the check coolant level warning (never happended before) and I added about 400ml coolant. Now, about 700km later half of that seems to be gone again.

The car is going to the dealership for service next month and I will address this. The car is still under CPO warranty. But just out of interest, is there any typical place where the M276 might be leaking coolant which I can look for myself?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Audi S6
Many owners never check coolant level. ALL new cars have air pockets from the factory; some more than others (mid/rear engine cars are the worst, for obvious reasons). If coolant was never topped off, that's probably the reason for your warning. If you had an external leak, you'd know by now. It could also be an internal one, but it's rare on cars below 100K miles... but just in case, also keep an eye on oil level. Now, what's happening to your car is perfectly normal when coolant level is low. You'll have to continue adding coolant until system fully stabilizes. It's going to take dozens of cold/hot/cold cycles, so just be patient. Fill the reservoir to the full mark again, and keep an eye on it, and don't let it fall below the min mark. Just as a side comment, I had to add the same 400ml to my Porsche with only 12 miles on the clock (took almost 1 quart before it stabilized). Good luck.

Last edited by elp_jc; 11-11-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E350 Cabriolet
Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I bought the car a year ago with 30.000km on it. It's a 2013. The warning came for the first time 600km ago. It has 45.000km now and it has lost about half of what I topped up then. So I think there is a leak somewhere.

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Many owners never check coolant level. ALL new cars have air pockets from the factory; some more than others (mid/rear engine cars are the worst, for obvious reasons). If coolant was never topped off, that's probably the reason for your warning. If you had an external leak, you'd know by now. It could also be an internal one, but it's rare on cars below 100K miles... but just in case, also keep an eye on oil level. Now, what's happening to your car is perfectly normal when coolant level is low. You'll have to continue adding coolant until system fully stabilizes. It's going to take dozens of cold/hot/cold cycles, so just be patient. Fill the reservoir to the full mark again, and keep an eye on it, and don't let it fall below the min mark. Just as a side comment, I had to add the same 400ml to my Porsche with only 12 miles on the clock (took almost 1 quart before it stabilized). Good luck.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
If you don't see coolant on the floor then it's possible it's leaking through the engine. Check the exhaust in the rear after the engine is thoroughly warmed up. If you see white steam comes out of the tailpipe and smells like coolant, then you know the coolant is leaking through the engine.
The following users liked this post:
Akbar Service (11-22-2019)