E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

starting issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 coupe
starting issues

about a month ago my 2012 E550 coupe died on me, I replaced the battery and the starter and was good to go. yesterday I drove the car for about 15 minutes, stopped at the store, went back out and she wouldn't start. I turned the key a few different times and sometimes it would try and turn over but then other times it would make no sound at all. after about 10 tries, it started right up. any idea of what this issue could be? any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 04-27-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Check the earth to the starter motor and to the engine. When it didn't turn did the solenoid on the starter engage, may give a clue as to whether it is the starter itself.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 AM

E550 coupe
The battery is good, the starter is good, a buddy of mine suggested that the ignition switch could be bad, but I feel like if this were the case, then it wouldn't start at all, as he said usually when the switch goes out, it just goes out, it doesn't usually keep working randomly. I also find that when the engine is cold, it starts, i only have the issue when I drive a bit, turn my car off, and then try to restart.. I plan to take it into the dealer 2maro, but wanted to have an idea before they try and pull one over on me. I had a diagnostic test, and the only code that came up was for a faulty coolant thermostat. This makes me think that perhaps there is some sort of safety feature that prevents you from starting the engine, as it does tend to turn over much easier when the engine has sat and is cold. I wish I was more familiar with this car, is that a possibility?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 143 Likes on 133 Posts
2018 GLS450, 2017 SL63 AMG, 2021 Sprinter, 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
NicBenny22 - I'm not a mechanic but did have a similar issue on another brand ... be certain the negative cable on the battery is SECURELY tightened - an intermittent ground may be causing those symtoms
good luck, know issues like this are aggravating
steve
Old 04-30-2018, 08:24 AM

E550 coupe
so just an update. I brought my E550 into the dealership and told them about the issues I was having. they seemed stumped at first but in the end it turned out that it was a faulty key fob. the key fob battery was recently replaced, but the electronics in the fob itself were going bad causing the car to not read the chip in the key, hence the issue with my car not starting. who would have thought lol, not me that's for sure. thank you for all the help and suggestions.