E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2 Questions....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
2 Questions....

I have a 2010 E550 Coupe with distronic. A rock hit the plastic cover over the emblem in the grill and cracked it. Can the plastic cover be replaced or do I have to purchase a whole new grill? Next, the wood trim above the glove box and passenger door is starting to lift. Is there a way to "glue" it back down or do those have to be replaced? Other than that the car has been rock solid for the year and half that I have had it. Been a great car and I want to keep her tip top. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto

MB EPC shows part # 2078880011, start here to comparison shop new: $197.23 https://www.mbdirectparts.com/

Last edited by konigstiger; 09-01-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by konigstiger

MB EPC shows part # 2078880011, start here to comparison shop new: $197.23 https://www.mbdirectparts.com/
Thank you brother greatly appreciated
Old 09-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C300
Loose wood trim

Recommendations on repairing loose wood strips.
For the wood trip above the glove box:
The wood is glued to the metal backing at the factory. I recommending removing the wood/metal strip from above the glove box before trying anything.This piece simply pops off by carefully using a screwdriver or other flat blade to get underneath the metal edge and lifting the metal towards you. There are 5 or 6 snap in clips holding this strip on. A new or repaired strip can easily be snapped back on.

The wood is extremely fragile and it is almost impossible to fully remove the wood from the backing plate without breaking the wood. (I speak from experience.) If the wood strip breaks you will need to purchase a new trim piece (the wood strip comes already glued to the backing plate) from the dealer. The part number is 207-680-26-71 and when I bought it in 2015, the cost was $215.

I recommend trying to glue the loose portion of the wood, but you must be extremely careful as the wood is very thin and fragile. If you do try to glue it:
1. Purchase a package of LOCTITE Epoxy Instant Mix. I have followed numerous posts about this problem and the this is only adhesive that I am aware of that has proven to work. The epoxy is supposed to cure enough to hold the wood in place within 4-5 minutes. I found it took longer to hold the wood in place. The epoxy will fully cure in 24 hours. Also have some rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits available to clean up any excess epoxy.
2. Mask off the edges of the metal strip where the wood is loose
3. The instructions that come with the epoxy say to dispense the epoxy directly onto one side of the pieces to be bonded. However, you will not be able to do that because the nozzle on the epoxy tube is too large to fit behind the wood strip. If you were to pull the wood strip out far enough for the nozzle to fit behind the wood strip you would most certainly break the wood strip. Therefore here is what I recommend:
a, Be prepared to very gently pull the loose wood strip away from the backing plate just far enough to be able to apply some adhesive between the backing plate and the back side of the wood strip.
b. Apply some epoxy mix to a piece of aluminum foil and using a small applicator such as a popsicle stick, apply enough adhesive for a very small amount to ooze out after you have pressed on the wood strip You will have to work quickly as the epoxy starts to set within 40-50 seconds.
4. Hold the wood strip in place and clean up any excess epoxy.
5. Continue to hold the wood strip in place for about 5 minutes or longer, until the epoxy sets enough to hold the wood strip in place.
6. Remove the masking tape.
7. Wait 24 hours for the epoxy to fully cure and snap the repaired strip back into place.

To replace the wood strips on the door, you will need to remove the door panel, remove the old wood strip including the backing plate, install the new part and reassemble the door panel. You can do this yourself or have a dealer do it.

However, if the wood strip is only partially loose from the backing plate and you have not broken the wood, you might be able to glue the wood without removing the door panel using the method that I did. You will need to do some preparations in advance:
1. As stated above, purchase a package of LOCTITE Epoxy Instant Mix. I have followed numerous posts about this problem and the this is only adhesive that I am aware of that has proven to work. The epoxy is supposed to cure enough to hold the wood in place within 4-5 minutes. I found it took longer to hold the wood in place. The epoxy will fully cure in 24 hours. Also have some rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits available to clean up any excess epoxy.
2. Prepare in advance a 1" X 4" length of wood, padded on both ends with pieces of terry towel, that will fit very snugly between the wood strip on the door that you are going to apply the epoxy to and the same spot on the wood strip on the opposite door.
3. Using masking tape, tape off the area on the metal strip and the door panel surrounding where you are going to apply the epoxy glue to secure the wood strip to the backing plate.
4. The instructions that come with the epoxy say to dispense the epoxy directly onto one side of the pieces to be bonded. However, you will not be able to do that because the nozzle on the epoxy tube is too large to fit behind the wood strip. If you were to pull the wood strip out far enough for the nozzle to fit behind the wood strip you would most certainly break the wood strip. Therefore here is what I recommend:
a, Be prepared to very gently pull the loose wood strip away from the backing plate just far enough to be able to apply some adhesive between the backing plate and the back side of the wood strip.
b. Apply some epoxy mix to a piece of aluminum foil and using a small applicator such as a popsicle stick, apply enough adhesive for a very small amount to ooze out after you have pressed on the wood strip You will have to work quickly as the epoxy starts to set within 40-50 seconds.
5. Hold the wood strip in place and clean up any excess epoxy.
6. Continue to hold the wood strip in place for about 5 minutes. By now the epoxy should have set enough so that it will not run out. It may even hold the wood strip.
7. Remove the masking tape.
8. Insert the padded 1X4 between the glued wood strip and the same spot on the opposite door. You will need to leave the window open and be outside the car to do this. If you properly sized the 1X4 it should fit snugly between the door and continue to hold the glued wood strip in place by itself. If possible, leave the 1X4 in place for 24 hours.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it really just takes the proper preparation and being careful not to break the wood strip. For the few dollars for the epoxy and the 1X4 length of wood you save at least $200 for the cost of a new piece from the dealer and lots of time to remove and replace the door panel if you do it yourself. If you have the dealer install new wood it will probably cost you $400 -$500.

I used the method above and my wood strip has held firmly in place since 2015.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (09-04-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 PM

Bmeck, That is an amazing post and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to write that out. I have a great independent MB mechanic close by so I will probably just have hime take care of it and I will print out this post for him for reference. Thank you so very much!