E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

smoke (rear of engine)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 01:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 C250 coupe 2007 ML 350
smoke (rear of engine)

I was at work and a co-worker told me that his brother had a Mercedes-Benz and it was overheating. I was curious and inquired about the model. The co-worker claimed that he did not know the year or model. The co-worker knew the car had “two doors” and nothing more. I asked for directions and showed up at my co-workers brother's house as soon as I got off from work.

I knocked on the door and to my surprise an elderly gentleman answered. I said, “I know you don’t know me, but your brother said your Mercedes was overheating.” The gentleman said, “Yeah my car is overheating.” I realized my call was unannounced and the fellow was timid of my inquiry, so I told him that I have a Mercedes coupe and I was there to help. At that moment, he looked passed my shoulder and saw my C250 parked behind his E550. Within seconds the gentleman opened the door as wide as possible and replied, “Let me get my key.”

After a minute or two the man came outside with the key and said, "Let me show you.” I replied “Okay," but something in me said, “Show me on the temperature gauge first.” I was shocked when the man pointed to a gauge reading of 80-85C. Seeing that I just parked my car, I handed the man my keys and told the fellow to start my car. The man followed my direction and started my C250. After he started my car, I told him, “Your car is not overheating. My car is not overheating. That is normal operating temperature.”

At this point I am confused and the old fellow is staring at my interior. I immediately asked the man, why do you think your car is “overheating?" He opened the trunk and handed me a brand new water pump and thermostat and said, “My car smokes at that temperature.” I then asked him, “who told you that you need those parts?” He did not answer the question. I suspect he saw “smoke” and began to assume.

I asked him to start his E550. Within a few minutes the car started smoking from the passenger side. I pulled the cover off of the engine and the old man was amazed. I noticed the cover was not installed correctly and I assumed the man was previously messing with the cover. I requested a jack and raised his passenger tire. Although I did not have a jack stand, and I was not under his car, I could see that his catalytic convertor was stained with oil. I assumed the man would feel better when I stood up and told him that his car was not overheating. I was wrong. It seemed as if he almost had a stroke when I told him his 550 was "leaking oil.”

At first the man did not believe me. I explained his muffler was hot and the oil was dripping and causing smoke. The old man still did not believe me. I asked the man to get on the ground and look for himself. After I told him to get a look for himself, I felt bad because he was elderly and I did not know if he could get back up. To my surprise, the fellow took a look for himself. When he was back on his feet, I said, “Take those parts back.”

I installed the engine cover with ease and the man seemed shocked. I put the car down and we walked to his porch. I pulled out my cellphone to research the issue. Within minutes of searching the forum I discovered the crank case cover or the plugs were likely to blame. Feeling confident that the plastic cover or the plugs were leaking, I searched the internet and found the parts for under 40 dollars. Content on helping the man, I told him, “Don’t worry I will fix the car for you.” I went on to tell him that I was going to purchase the parts and I would be back in a few days.

The next day at work I told the younger brother that I diagnosed his brother's car. I also mentioned that I was going to fix the 550 when the parts arrived. Naturally, the brother asked if I was paid and he wanted to know if his brother had the money to purchase the parts. To which I replied, “No worries.” Before too long the parts arrived in the mail. I gathered my tools and jack stand and knocked on the gentleman's door. The fellow opened the door and this time he had a wide smile as he said, “Let me get my keys.”

I again removed the engine cover and was prepared to fight with the bolts and firewall. To my surprise the bolts were nearly hand tight and the firewall was not as nearly as close as I was led to believe. Although I had difficultly with one or two of the bolts, I managed to remove them with ease. I found that if I inserted a shallow socket and used a set of needle nose pliers, the bolts would listen. My biggest worry was dropping the elderly gentleman’s bolts.

After the oil separator was removed, I handed the part to the old man and asked him to look at the “circle" in the middle of the part and "compare it to your new one.” It was obvious that old part was in trouble. I looked over the driver’s side of engine and it was dry. The plugs were dry as well, so I installed the cover and started the car. I knew the 550 would smoke when started, however, I forgot to inform the man. As I expected, a little smoke started up the passenger side. The older fellow began to frown. I told him that we had to wait until the smoke burned off the catalytic convertor. The sad look continued until I asked for some degreaser. I received the degreaser and a old shirt from the old man, and because I brought my jack stand, I felt safe to climb under the car and scrub the convertor.

I put the car down and told him to restart it. We walked to his porch and let the 550 run for about 15 minutes. After the what seemed like forever, we walked back over to 550 and the exhaust ceased to smoke. The fellow shook his head and smiled. I told him that he had a beautiful car and I was proud to help out. I mentioned that I adored the model and never seen one in person. I thanked him for allowing me to help, and said, “I wish I had 550.”

The old man gave me hug and wanted to pay for my services. I told him that I grew up in the neighborhood and could not possibly take the money. He responded, “I been here my whole life and I haven’t seen you.” I thought about his response for a second and I told him that I lived up the street for twenty years. We then spoke of little known facts pertaining to the neighborhood and came to the conclusion that we knew of each other but did not know each other.

I told him that his plugs and the coolant system was not the problem, but if he ever had an issue, he could always call me. Before I went home, I asked him if I could take a picture with both of the cars. I tell this story because I believe we should help each other when at all possible. I know many of us enjoy helping others.

Last edited by soldr230; 02-03-2019 at 02:22 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by soldr230:
hudlum (02-04-2019), mikey08 (02-04-2019), Mr. Toad (02-04-2019), northridgeaz (02-06-2019), pepmyster (02-03-2019), Rick-F (02-04-2019), route246 (09-13-2021), skrskrr (02-03-2019), SMG_CT (02-03-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:02 AM

Last edited by soldr230; 02-03-2019 at 02:22 AM. Reason: the old man took the pic
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 E550 Coupe
When I first saw this I thought “Such a long post. Who would read this?” Well, I did and I’m glad I did. Awesome “feel good” story! We can all learn from it. Thanks for sharing, Soldr230!

Last edited by hudlum; 02-04-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 AM

hudlum
pepmyster
skrskrr
SMG CT

Thank you
Old 02-04-2019, 11:37 AM

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
I also read the whole story, and am glad I did. Thank you for doing what you did and for sharing. The world needs more people like you.
SMG_CT (02-04-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
I have helped others in time of need. What you did is way beyond a good Samaritan helping out a stranger! Unbelievable.
Mr. Toad (02-06-2019)