E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Muffler delete too loud, resonator removal sounds bad, recommend louder muffler?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 E550 Coupe
Muffler delete too loud, resonator removal sounds bad, recommend louder muffler?

Hey all. After doing some extensive research, I have come to the conclusion that I would like to swap to a louder muffler rather than doing either a muffler delete or a resonator removal. The muffler delete is too loud, and the resonator removal gives it a sound that I don't like (the resonators cancel out the high frequency tones so removing them just allows them to come back).

Can anyone recommend any fairly loud mufflers that keep that deep rumble AMG sound? Could it be just as easy as picking up a Magnaflow or Flowmaster competition muffler? That's what I'm leaning towards - like a Magnaflow race muffler or something. Would be a little quieter than the muffler delete I'm thinking.

Thoughts? Opinions? It's a 2011 E550 5.5L btw.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 S65 AMG (W221)
IMO Magnaflow would be louder then no muffler. I personally have resonator delete and stock mufflers in place (M273 NA engine), agree the sound is not so pretty at high RPM but I got headers and tune so the sound is much better than it was bone stock.
Old 02-10-2021, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 E550 Coupe
Just following up on this in case anyone is interested. I finally replaced the stock mufflers with Dynomax 10416 mufflers. They were only $125 CAD each from Amazon and it was $150 to put them on so all around pretty affordable. It felt wrong putting "American Muscle" style mufflers on the car rather than top grade Euro performance, but in the end it worked out just fine. I was afraid a competition style bullet muffler would be too loud, but you still actually get decent sound deadening compared to a muffler delete. What's weird is it sounds waaay better outside than from inside the car for some reason.

I put some videos up on Youtube of some dyno pulls I did to give you an idea of the sound:

The following 2 users liked this post by TherealJT:
Siegmann (02-14-2021), TEAsE550 (02-10-2021)