E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Collision Prevention Assist Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 07:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
2015 E400
Collision Prevention Assist Inoperative (Wheel bearing exploded)

I was driving on the highway and signaled to change lanes. Upon changing lanes I heard a pop and the "Collision Prevention Assist Inoperative" message came on. Then the ABS and Traction Control dummy lights came on and the car seemed to go into limp home mode. I pulled over and came to a full stop. Then, I shut the car off, but noticed a puff of smoke from my front right. I restarted the car, but same message came on. I turned off the stereo, and heard a screeching sound coming from my front right. I pulled over again, then checked the front right. My hub cap was missing (from whatever caused the pop sound) and I could see grease all over. Brake caliper seemed fine, with plenty of meat on the brake pad, but when I started driving again, I could hear a screeching sound, like a wear indicator grinding on the rotor. I was close to home, so I kept limping home and parked the car. I haven't bothered to crawl underneath as it was hot and humid and the car still tracks straight. I've got an appointment with the dealer tomorrow, but I'm afraid of what they'll find.

The car is 5 years old now and I'm wondering if I should bother to fix it or trade it in? I've often thought of this car as a temporary car until I find the right color and options, but I've added wireless CarPlay to this one and it's grown on me. I don't want a 2017-2019, but I'm not really a fan of the 2020 either. I like the lines on the 2015-2016, but I like the interior and dash on the 2020.

Last edited by pl626; 07-28-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:39 AM

2015 E400
Since I had brake pressure, the engine ran fine, & there were no leaks, I decided to drive to the dealer. About a few miles away, the grinding sound was really bad, so I pulled over. This is what the front right wheel looked like:

A spun bearing, at least.
Attached Thumbnails Collision Prevention Assist Inoperative-photo915.jpg  
Old 07-15-2020, 12:03 PM

2015 E400
Dealer confirmed the bearing issue, but the damage has been done. No service bulletins on defective wheel bearings, so I'm out-of-pocket on this. No RCA for the failure yet, but I'll post back if the service tech has an idea. I'm sure it wasn't grease starvation, as there was grease in the bearing...

Also, the service writer told me that repacking the wheel bearings is no longer required, but recommended. That amazes me, as I can't imagine doing a brake job without repacking the wheel bearings...

Last edited by pl626; 07-15-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:18 AM

2015 E400
So...as a result of the exploded wheel bearing and driving on it, the repair bill is about $3k, which includes parts to replace the damaged hub, rotor, sensors and alignment. I was planning on doing the front brakes anyways, so the money I would have saved doing the job myself is the cost I pay to not have to do it as a shade-tree mechanic in the hottest time of the year. I've rebuilt the front axle of my old Range Rover Classic, so I know I could do the other part of the job myself, but again, I don't have access to a climate-controlled garage, so having the dealership do the job saves me from the heat as well.

Am I happy? Of course not, but I have to keep telling myself that I'm not sweating and bloodying my knuckles. Funny thing is, if it were my Range Rover Classic, I'd do the wrenching, but then again, it doesn't require that I have an expensive computer to clear codes...
Old 07-28-2020, 04:15 PM

2015 E400
While the E400 was at the dealer, they gave me a 2020 GLA. This was a disappointment, as in the past, they had given me a C-Class Cabriolet. What was disappointing about the 2020 GLA, no wireless CarPlay ( I have that in my 2015 E400 via an aftermarket box), fit and finish seemed much cheaper (to be expected, I suppose), but the 4-banger was the biggest disappointment. Fuel mileage wasn't that much better than my biturbo V-6.

On the upside, the doggo liked jumping in through the rear hatch, much easier than waiting for me to move the seat forward in the E400...
Old 07-30-2020, 09:09 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
The difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder motors is substantial.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A207 E200 Cabrio
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing! Good deed.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:13 PM

2015 E400
It's been almost 8 months since the front passenger side wheel bearing failed. I remember asking the SA if both sides should be done and they said no. Well....yesterday, while on the DC Beltway, same thing happened, but this time it was the driver's side front wheel bearing. The DC Beltway doesn't have any safe areas to pull off, so I managed to 'limp home', to an exit close to home and the dealership. This time, I remembered to use the MB Roadside Assist, though I used the SOS function first, not remembering Roadside assist has the wrench icon. This saved me from having to burn one of the 'free' AAA flatbed rides that I need for my old LR RRC.

MB Roadside assist was great and the dealer just told me they'd take care of the repair for me. This is why I keep choosing MBs for my daily drivers. Funny thing is, I have 3 vehicles to use and all three are now currently in the shop, 3 different shops...

Oh, forgot to mention, my loaner, a 2021, doesn't have wireless CarPlay. That's frustrating, as my 2015 does have wireless CarPlay, but that's only because I had a third-party CarPlay unit installed. Still, it's 2021...

Last edited by pl626; 04-02-2021 at 12:17 PM.