E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2014 A207 E220CDI LS Swap Build! Need help on tricking stock ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 03:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A207 2014 E220 CDI
Talking 2014 A207 E220CDI LS Swap Build! Progress!

Hi all,
I've been lurking on these forums for quite some time, but I have decided to embark on a project which I think nobody has attempted before. I have a base model facelift A207 E class, and since it was my first Benz I decided that instead of getting rid of it since it has depreciated, I thought I would build it into something quite special. After some thinking I settled on an LS swap. Now I know this is quite a controversial thing to do, many of you may suggest that I buy an E550 which is perfectly reasonable, the thing is I don't just want to buy because there's no fun in that for me. I want to build something and at the end of the day an LS3 convertible would really be rather cool. I could swap an AMG motor into it which would make the wiring easier but then again I might as well just buy an AMG car, why go to the trouble of swapping all the electronics in when I could go for a platform which has far greater potential for power and better reliability. I know how much work an LS swap will be and how much money it will cost me - it's not going to be easy. Firstly, there is the matter of getting the LS to fit. I think since my car is based on the W204 chassis which had an AMG 63 variant the LS3 should fit in the engine bay. LS engines are quite compact for their displacement as far as I understand so the only thing I need to do is fabricate some engine mounts, no cutting required (fingers crossed). My car has the 6 speed manual transmission, so I'm going to keep it manual and swap a T56 Magnum. I don't know if it'll fit in the trans tunnel, does anyone have the dimensions of the stock gearbox and the clearance between it and the trans tunnel? If it fits then a trans cross member will need to be made, again not the hard part.
Since it's W204 I should be able to use drivetrain parts from the C63? So diff and axles I can swap in performance parts intended for the C63 like Driveshaft Shop's 900hp axles and the Wavetrac LSD kit and a C63 diff. Do I need the C63 diff or can I just build the stock diff with the wavetrac kit? Driveshaft shop can custom build me a driveshaft but I need to get the engine, trans and diff in place first before I can take the necessary measurements.
Where I'm a bit stuck is the engine electronics, I know that I need to somehow fool the original ECU into thinking there's a mercedes engine under the bonnet. A CEL is ok since the stock ECU will basically be doing nothing engine wise, the LS ecu will control everything engine related, I'm only keeping the stock ECU for traction control, ABS, interactions between the SAM units and to prevent the CANBus from going crazy, but I need the ECU to think that the car has started successfully. I won't be using the stock throttle pedal either, I'll leave it plugged in to prevent codes but I'll stick it behind the dash and use the GM pedal. My theory is that if I can trick the ECU into thinking the stock diesel is just idling even with a CEL then I can proceed with getting the car running and driving with the LS and T56 Magnum.
I know that the Cam and Crank sensors are Hall Effect from a service brochure thing https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf5/12...922c3c6c34bbe2, which I should be able to emulate using an Arduino and an i2C digital to analog converter going into an amplifier and then a bridge/single diode rectifier to step up the voltage to the correct level, and then remove the negative voltage since the waveform a hall effect sensor makes is basically a square wave but without negative voltage. I am experienced with Arduino, electronics and programming so this is within my skillset. I have access to an oscilloscope so I can probe the various sensors with the engine running if need be.
So my questions:
1) What sensors does the CDI control unit require inputs from to think that there is an engine running?
2) What sensor types are these? Voltage based sensors are easy as I can use a voltage divider to replicate it, and I can ramp up the voltage with a transistor if need be, waveform sensors are trickier but definitely still possible with a DAC. If it's a very complicated waveform I can try to capture the waveform on an oscilloscope and attempt to convert it to a sound file with software and literally just play it as a looped MP3 through an MP3 module.
3) Where are these sensors located on the stock engine? Is there a service manual with all the sensors labelled somewhere?
4) Do I need to dummy outputs into resistors or can I just leave the injector/coil outputs unplugged? I'd be less keen to dummy load the injectors as they are basically mains voltage (250V) and I don't want to mess around with that if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help towards answering my questions. Once I get the ECU tricked enough to think the engine has started I can rip the old engine and transmission out and commence with the swap.

Last edited by Yuvraj Dubey; 07-23-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:32 AM

A207 2014 E220 CDI
Update

Hey, I'm back with a bit of an update. I saw that this thread got some attention but still no answers - that's no big deal though, I doubt that the answers I need will come quickly. This is unchartered territory after all! I called up MSL Performance and I was directed to this software called Mercedes WIS by Acid (Don't know if I spelt that right, apologies if I got it wrong), props to you for helping me. From a quick look this software is very powerful, it has every repair procedure for vehicles from 1986 onwards! I'm banking that this software will have the diagrams of the engine that I need to be able to begin reverse engineering the sensors. If it doesn't have them all in one diagram I can look at procedures for replacing these sensors one by one which will describe in detail how to get to each sensor which is also very helpful, now I know where to look! Hooray, progress!
I also emailed the local dealer yesterday with requests for engine diagrams and ECU pinouts but I've got nothing back from them yet, I highly doubt they'd even be willing to give me the engine diagram let alone the ECU pinouts LOL. I can only wish..
I have bought a copy of Mercedes WIS off eBay, once I get the download links I'll update the thread with any more information - I will ensure that I'll describe the build process in good detail so anybody who wants to do this to their own car in the future can do that. I eventually plan to design a module which will just plug into the stock ECU and fool it completely with inputs for oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp etc.. to make use of the stock warning lights.
I need to get hold of an oscilloscope now... I reckon a basic one will do for this project but if anyone has some recommendations that'd be appreciated. Don't really want to shell out hundreds of pounds here unless it's fairly certain that getting access to these sensors are possible and that I am capable of replicating the signals - I'll have a look around on eBay and YouTube for any particular recommendations.

Last edited by Yuvraj Dubey; 07-22-2020 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Siegmann (05-08-2022)
Old 07-22-2020, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Brother, you seek answers to questions that are way above my pay grade, and I suspect that of about 99% of our membership.
Regardless, I salute the bravery and initiative of anyone who seeks to be the first to do something, and I wish you well.
I just wanted to let you know that someone is reading your posts lol.

Lord knows, "they" have stuck an LS in just about every other model on the planet, so someone may as well give this a go too!
(Yes, thats an LS swapped 300SL Gullwing, and No, I dont know why. It was at SEMA lol)

Last edited by 604 C63; 07-22-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:14 AM

A207 2014 E220 CDI
Talking Massive UPDATE!!

Hey guys! Back with a huge progress step.

Guess what, I do not need to do any reverse engineering!! The people over at syvecs have already made a standalone PnP kit for the M156 in the C63 AMG (Also works in W212 E63)!! They claim everything works in the car apart, even cruise control! (Can't change speed but you can set a specific speed). I can even keep the stock throttle pedal, can easily change the gauge cluster to the C63 AMG one for full rev range and extended speed (200mph). It doesn't matter what engine I put on the other side of the Syvecs as they offer this PnP kit for many different cars. I imagine I would simply cut the engine side connector off, and wire in the GM electronics and wiring but I'd do it right with the correct connectors and everything to ensure it lasts.
https://www.xxxxxxxxxxxx.com/showthr...3-C197-SLS-etc
Replace xxxx... with g.e.r.m.a.n.b.o.o.s.t removing periods to check it out.

This is unprecedented news, does anyone have this ECU in their car and can shed some light on how it works and if it's good? Also I need help on tires, end goal is 650hp+, I need to get that power down to the road somehow. Some people have got 295s on their C63 black editions but they still spin a fair bit - although they are running in excess of 750hp. What tires and what sizes would I need to tame this beast? Also suspension, I'm thinking progressive dampers to maintain the stock silky ride quality but I can still have it go around some corners. I am currently on the base comfort suspension, don't have any of those AMG adjustable dampers so I suppose I could get even bigger tyres since I'm running a little higher than the more common AMG variants of the A207 coupe/cabriolet.

Watch this space! Some awesome stuff is gonna happen.
The following users liked this post:
Siegmann (05-08-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 08:45 AM

Received 86 Likes on 76 Posts
2013 E550
Hi, did you end up doing this?
Old 05-09-2022, 09:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe
I wish I lived down the road just so I could wake up every morning to embark on this adventure of yours. I'm sure my contributions would amount to handing you tools and asking a million questions but what you're doing is 'The Life' to me.