E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Car noise inside cabin when braking/decelerating/accelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550C
Car noise inside cabin when braking/decelerating/accelerating

I started hearing this sound recently after swapping over to my winter tires, but now I am wondering if it was always there but I just never noticed. It happens when I'm braking from 60km down to 0 and also during slow acceleration. It also happens when turning in a circle less than 30km/h. I can not hear this noise with the windows down or outside. Could this be some sort of suspension issue? The sound is more frequent at higher speeds and it's slower when approaching 0km/h and vice versa. It sounds like it is coming from the front and seems to be a rotational issue. Brought the car to a shop and they said the wheel bearings were fine. There's currently a snowstorm so I will swap back to my all seasons after to see if it's the tires, but I'm hoping someone else can give insights incase they have experienced this before.

You can start hearing the sound at 0:02 and at 0:17.

Edit: How would you describe this noise?

Last edited by chopsticksonly; 11-08-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:46 AM

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
'18 E400 Cab
Noise

Tough to tell with all the noises in that video but if I'm hearing what you're talking about it could definitely be the tires. Could you post a video without turn signals and whatnot?
Old 11-09-2020, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E550C
This is another video I took, you can hear it at the beginning. You can hear it very clearly at 0:17 in the first video. You might have to turn up the volume. It sounds like a loose-ish sound but I don't know how to describe.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
'18 E400 Cab
Noise

Yeah, that is an odd noise. I'd be looking at the braking system, perhaps greasing up the moving parts. Any vibrations on braking? Sounds almost like as the rotor turns there is some light metal on metal friction. Hopefully someone smarter than me joins in...
Old 02-12-2021, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E350cdi C207
Brakes

It's the rear brake shoes rubbing because the spring has broken. It's a common fault. Look it up on YouTube.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 sedan, 1989; Alfasud Ti, 1981
Rear DRUM brake 'SHOES'

Originally Posted by Lai Itgu
It's the rear brake shoes rubbing because the spring has broken. It's a common fault. Look it up on YouTube.
Weren't "brake shoes", whether at the rear or front end, friction devices used decades before normal disc brake pads? Shoes were fitted to horrible old inefficient drum brake designs. I never realized drum brakes and shoes were ever fitted to Mercedes-Benz vehicles built after perhaps the early to mid-1960s--Interesting. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2023, 09:36 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
The first vid I hear nothing other than clicking which I'm guessing is you fiddling with the turn signal? Then at 17 I think I hear the gas pedal?
The second vid I hear something at the 1-2sec mark that sounds like a plastic rake raking leaves on concrete, just very faint. I assume that's the sound?
The rear brakes have drum parking brakes, but they shouldn't move or make noise.

I don't know what it is... I'd imagine much is lost in the phone recording but if I heard that under the conditions you said I would suspect emissions or the tranny. Emissions if, maybe, it's venting the evap system? Doubt it. just a long shot guess based on the sound.
I think the tranny makes more sense. So I would cruise at say 40mph or so to get in 7th, let off the gas, then manually downshift a gear at a time and listen for it. Same accelerating from a stop, shift manually and see if the sound is in sync with shifts. If so, it could be just one gear going it, or one gear set. It may also be the torque converter clutch. Not sure if you've ever felt it but I can really feel in 1st & 2nd gear when engine braking. It takes time for the clutch to engage, so say I'm doing 25mph and shift to 2nd, the clutch may not engage for 5 seconds but that varies a lot. When it does you'll feel engine braking is much stronger. If you give it just a little gas the clutch should stay engaged, but a little too much and it will release and you have to wait again for it to engage. So I'd just lock in manual and 2nd and do that over and over to see if the sound appears at the same moment.
PS I don't believe tires have anything to do with it, unless they happen to be rubbing on the inner liner or something weird. So I suppose I would also check the wheel wells for anything, liner, wires, debris, dead squirrel or whatever that might be rubbing the tire now and then. I suppose the sound does sound like the liner or something rubbing against the tires, like the plastic rake sound, and snow tires may make it louder if the tread or wherever it's rubbing is more aggressive than your usual tires.

Last edited by Chevota; 02-23-2023 at 09:43 PM.