E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Driver's door gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
Driver's door gremlins

Hi all,

I have had my right hand drive 2014 C207 E500 coupe for about seven years now. A problem in the driver's door had developed about two years ago. When I open the door from outside by pulling the grab-handle, the window would go up by about an inch which would impede the closing of the door as the window would make contact with the rubber seal that runs along the top of the door aperture. sometimes the window will bounce up and down an inch for three to five times before it stops (with the red rectangular light flashing on the bottom of the door card). To overcome the problem, I would turn the engine on and press the window button to lower the window totally, shut the door and then raise the door window and drive off. The problem also occurs when I open the door from inside of the car after I shut off the engine.

There are times when the window would bounce up and down, the red rectangular light flashes, and the seatbelt extender moving in and out of its location all at the same time like the car is possessed by an evil spirit. I do notice this problem tends to appear after a car wash or rain so it might be moisture/corrosion related (Door control module? Door lock actuator?)

Yesterday afternoon, I took my car to the workshop and the technician saw the problem of the bouncing window and he hooked it up to the Xentry diagnostic system and found there were a couple of stored faults (which I forgot). He had no idea of the cause and erased the faults and sent me on my way (the problem went away after the reset). He said I'd have to leave the car with him for a couple of days so he could take the door card off the door and perform a physical trace on the problem.

The bouncing window problem reappeared this morning.................................

Has anyone had this problem on their C207 E Coupe? I searched through the threads and did not find anything so it seems like my problem is not common.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:48 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Sure sounds strange and I wish I could help but I have not had this issue. A proper Gremlin, don't get it wet.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:12 PM

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2000 c230 kompressor special edition, 2012 E550 coupe (sold), 2017 C63 sedan (sold), 2018 C63S Coupe
Never heard of this happening, but I'd imagine all of those things would happen if there was an issue with the switch that lets the car know the door is closed/open. If the car thinks the door is open it would drop the window and turn on the puddle lights on the bottom of the door. If the car thinks the door is closed it will raise the window and extend the seatbelt. Kind of sounds like the car is rapidly switching between those two states. Could be the door module screwing up the signals from the switch as well. No experience/expertise here, just speculation.
Old 11-27-2020, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
Thank you for the replies above.

It's been a dry week so far (and I haven't washed the car) and the problem has not recurred. I think I just have to keep the driver side of the car dry and all will be fine.

I have also thought about the interaction between the door control module and the door lock actuator. I am trying to work out the order of things and isolate where the root cause of the problem might be. The first is a possible issue inside the door actuator caused by moisture, then the wiring that connects the door actuator to the door control module. I'd be grateful if someone could provide me a pdf copy of the wiring diagram of the door electricals so I can get to it.

Thank you for reading,

Cheers