E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Radio Code Issue 2011 E550 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 Convertible
Radio Code Issue 2011 E550 Cabriolet

Hello, I recently inherited a 2011 E550 Cabriolet from my dad. The command screen says "Anti-Theft Mode Activated please contact your Mercedes Benz Workshop". He left some notes with the car, and it appears that he replaced the head unit with a used/donor radio at some point, as the original DvD wasn't working. His note says that the radio worked for a short time then went back to antitheft mode. The note looks like he had planned to take it in for someone to fix. He also has a box with a separate head unit in it, which has a different VIN on it. In his notes he noted a radio code number, but no vin. I took the car to the dealership today, and they said they need to have the VIN in order to figure out how to unlock it. I suspect that the VIN is probably on the radio chassis itself, but don't want to pay Mercedes dealership rates to pull it out.

I'm thinking of having a local shop pull it out to get the VIN and reinstall it, then back to dealership to enter the code once we have the VIN. If there isn't one on the radio, then try to source another head unit and replace it, this time knowing the VIN and radio code. Are there any other issues I need to look for when a non-original radio is connected to one of these cars? I hate to dump a ton of money in this car and it keep locking the radio due to some issue I'm overlooking. It's not a daily driver, but it would be nice to have radio.

Would we be better off just replacing the unit with an aftermarket? It has Harmon Kardon speakers, so I'm concerned we will lose some of that quality with aftermarket. I guess we would also lose navgiation and Command Screen? Trying to figure out the smartest solution that isn't going to cost thousands.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2021, 01:56 PM

2011 E550 Convertible
To add to this, I had the idea to go through dad's emails and see if he had an account here, and he did. I found posts from him last fall under username Inelson40 - one was about replacing the unit, it appears that he swapped the face of the original unit onto the donor unit. He said that the seat switches didn't match, so he wanted to use his original face, and it appears that he did do that. So my assumption now is that the radio in the box is actually his original unit, with the donor unit face on it and the one in the car is the donor unit with the original face? The VIN is listed on the one in the box and it is different from what is in the car. I don't think he realized the severity of swapping the face to the unit - do you think that could be causing the issue? I may have the dealer try this random VIN I found in the box....But I'm afraid he might have made too much a frankenstein out of it by swapping the faces. Wondering if the face to unit swap is what is causing the issue.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:52 AM

Captur 2015
Ever tried the great offer from https://www.radiocodeking.co.uk/becker-radio-codes as they give those codes for free? Don't forget to put the promo code: freebeckercode upon the checkout page to enable the free deal.

I have tried it before when we needed the radio code and they actually gave the correct one. Very worth it to try as its for free.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:01 PM

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Bit late, but the panel with the seat switches on is attached to the stereo unit by a couple of screws and has its own power feed. Sounds like he used the replacement stereo and connected the original switch unit back to the bottom of it rather than used the original stereo unit. Would explain the reason the anti theft has kicked in on the stereo unit.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:37 PM

2011 E550 Convertible
Originally Posted by 400ixl
Bit late, but the panel with the seat switches on is attached to the stereo unit by a couple of screws and has its own power feed. Sounds like he used the replacement stereo and connected the original switch unit back to the bottom of it rather than used the original stereo unit. Would explain the reason the anti theft has kicked in on the stereo unit.
Hi there, thanks for responding, now I'm responding 6 months later. My mother is in assisted living and the car is kept in the parking garage there. I drive it once a month or so, so the whole radio issue has been on the backburner since it isn't a car that is driven very much, we are only keeping it for sentimental reasons.

So I should be able to swap the faces so the face matches the unit (would lose seat heat, but don't really care) and hopefully that should solve it? I may try that as it sounds like the initial path of least resistance. If that works, I'll try to find another donor stereo with the correct face and do a FINAL swap of the whole thing if we decide we really need the heated seats.

Thanks!

Old 04-08-2022, 01:23 AM

2011 C63 Amg , 2010 E550 Coupe
Need help !

Hi guys I’m pretty much new here & recently purchased a 2010 E550 Coupe (w207). Apologies in advance if Im in the wrong forum. Basically my drivers seat is faulty. None of the seat adjustment switches work, only the heating or cooling options work. I’ve checked fuses & have replaced the seat switch control but nothing. Could it be the module under the seat? I’ve scanned the car with Carly & the code that’s related to the problem is
“B210E-Power Supply is too high.” Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:09 PM

2011 E550 Convertible
FYI, I simply swapped things back to the original command unit, swapped the lower seat heat control switches back onto it, plugged it in, and voila we have a working stereo. Didn't even have to take it to the dealer to put the code in. No CD but it's 2022, so we will be ok.