E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ECU Tune Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 05:59 AM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS (2016), GL63 (2016), SL63 (2022) -- Old Cars: E400, CLS 63s, ML 63, CL 600, S550 ...
ECU Tune Results

I did an ECU tune on my otherwise stock 2015 E400 cab A207. The tune file was generated by Eurocharged Canada (in Toronto).

I thought I'd share just a few points about the experience and outcome, but was hesitant because I only have partial information - so it will only be somewhat helpful. For example, I had the car dyno'd after, but not before. So can't give you good data on power increase. Likewise, I don't know (but could probably find out) how the dyno was configured, though was told it was not the stock Mustang (known to be low reading) configuration. So as I say, take this note for what it's worth and my apologies for the lack of complete data.

Eurocharged Canada was good to work with. They were responsive by email and always followed up when they said they'd do something.

The tune and device to apply it arrived on time at a combined cost of about $2,350 Canadian plus taxes.

The way it works is you attach the device, download the current ECU settings, send them to Eurocharged, and they send you a new file to apply using the same device. The process is a little cumbersome - but doable for anyone with a bit of technical comfort. If you are barely OK with your iPhone, I'd think twice about doing this yourself. But if that's the case, grab a technical friend who is willing to take the risk of being a part of the process. For me, the process went fine.

After it was done, the car drives well - there were no adverse changes that I could detect. Having said that, I can't say I noticed a huge increase in response either because I only owned it a couple weeks before tuning it. So I didn't have a strong sense of the "before" feel. The car is certainly responsive and quick (for a V6 especially) now, but it is very hard to say how big the change is just by feel. It's obviously not suddenly turned into my GTS, but it's nice and "sporty" to drive now.

Obviously it would have been logical to both drive the car longer before tuning it (so I had a better pre-tune feel) and dyno it before tuning it as well. That would have given me data, but the dyno is an hour+ drive away, so my hassle filter made me decide to skip the pre-dyno (sorry).

The post-tune dyno is below. Note that I was on 91 octane gas, and was told by the dyno guy that we have notoriously bad gas here (talking about the kind of gas that fuels our cars - just to be clear), and that based on his experience I'd get another 25-30hp out of it if I cared to put higher octane gas in. I could only verify that by trying it and driving back to the dyno - but I won't (see hassle-factor comment above).

So - that's my experience. I do think I would do it again as I am happy with it. The M276 is really great on gas, which is nice, but still packs a nice little punch when you want it to. I really love it as a daily driver and my guess is that the tune added a little bit to the enjoyment.

Last edited by MurrayG; 11-06-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:39 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Looks like it has added over 30hp.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
'18 E400 Cab
Thanks for sharing. I'm in a 2016 of the same car and have been considering a tune for a while. Spending that much for less than a 10% power increase isn't appealing. Some tunes claim to get the car up to the 400hp mark which is a different story. I'm glad to hear someone else enjoying the ride like I do though!
Old 11-08-2021, 11:17 AM

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts
AMG GTS (2016), GL63 (2016), SL63 (2022) -- Old Cars: E400, CLS 63s, ML 63, CL 600, S550 ...
Originally Posted by Grant_J
Thanks for sharing. I'm in a 2016 of the same car and have been considering a tune for a while. Spending that much for less than a 10% power increase isn't appealing. Some tunes claim to get the car up to the 400hp mark which is a different story. I'm glad to hear someone else enjoying the ride like I do though!
I hear you, but as I'd cautioned above, I don't think I have provided enough information to conclude how much of a HP or torque gain there was because I did not do a pre-test. So I'd hate for anyone to make a decision on tuning based on this (lack of) data.

Having said that, hopefully there is some utility in the information.

As an aside, the website for the tune I purchased (https://www.eurocharged.ca/product/m...5-2016-stage-1) claims 460HP and 520 TQ. While it's pretty clear I did not get that, if you stretch the possibilities, it may not be horribly far off. It is POSSIBLE that 93 Octane gas would add 30 (according to the Dyno guy, who seemed to have a lot of experience. If so, that would take the HP reading to 388. Then, it is also POSSIBLE that this is an accurate wheel reading, and thus the engine reading might be more like 10% higher +/-. That could take things up to 438. That's only 22 less then the claimed 460.

I am not saying either of these are true, just that they are possible.

All the best -