E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Steering Wheel Not Clocked Properly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 coupe
Steering Wheel Not Clocked Properly

Hi all,
I'm in need of a little help. My 2015 E550 coupe recently had both struts replaced and an alignment at the dealership. I'm at 47k on the odo. Car tracks straight and true with no problems.
On the drive home I noticed the steering wheel is now at the 1 o'clock position on a straight and level road. It's a minor issue but "drives " me nuts. Dealership has a 2 year warranty on parts and labor. BUT...I'd rather try fix it myself and avoid a 6 hour drive.
I've easily fixed a similar issue on my TJ, but this MB has an entirely different steering system. I've searched this forum for an acceptable solution to no avail. Someone suggested pulling the steering wheel and rotating it over one or two splines. That's just stupid.
Again, the alignment is great. It's how the steering wheel is clocked that is the issue. Apparently the shop locked the wheel a bit off center when they did the alignment. Can this be corrected simply or must a new alignment be done? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
'11 E550 Cpe/'04 GT3
2 year warranty on parts and labor” - take it back to the dealer and have them correct the problem they created.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:20 PM

E550 coupe
Originally Posted by pca7ggr
2 year warranty on parts and labor” - take it back to the dealer and have them correct the problem they created.
thx for the prompt reply. Yes I can take it back in, but wanted to avoid a neediness six hr drive. If there's a fix i can diy in my garage I'd like to try that first.
thx again.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:08 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Bi-Turbo E550 Coupe (W207)
Originally Posted by Cha lee
Hi all,
I'm in need of a little help. My 2015 E550 coupe recently had both struts replaced and an alignment at the dealership. I'm at 47k on the odo. Car tracks straight and true with no problems.
On the drive home I noticed the steering wheel is now at the 1 o'clock position on a straight and level road. It's a minor issue but "drives " me nuts. Dealership has a 2 year warranty on parts and labor. BUT...I'd rather try fix it myself and avoid a 6 hour drive.
I've easily fixed a similar issue on my TJ, but this MB has an entirely different steering system. I've searched this forum for an acceptable solution to no avail. Someone suggested pulling the steering wheel and rotating it over one or two splines. That's just stupid.
Again, the alignment is great. It's how the steering wheel is clocked that is the issue. Apparently the shop locked the wheel a bit off center when they did the alignment. Can this be corrected simply or must a new alignment be done? Thanks in advance for your help.
I had same issue when I did my strut installs last month followed by alignment. Chances are their alignment machine was not calibrated. I was told by the shop it’s common alignment machines calibration go out of sync. When I got my second alignment done the steering wheel is no longer tilted in order to drive straight. It drove me crazy too!

If you don’t want to do a 6 hour drive and want to have free alignment for life then look for a Firestone near you. It’ll cost $180 (they normally start price at $200 for alignment for life but commonly on sale) but then anytime you want you can have alignment redone or at least checked. Also you can go to any Firestone nationwide and no need to pay for alignment again.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:30 AM

E550 coupe
Wasn't aware Firestone had that as an option. Google tells me the closest is only 4.5 hrs away.
I would have preferred to install the struts myself but didn't want to drive hours on a misaligned front end. Such are the joys of living in a remote area. I love it.
Apparently there is no "quick fix" I can do in the garage.
No worries. Love driving this thing. I'll pick a nice day for a drive and make a day of it.
thx for your input.
Old 04-16-2022, 07:32 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Bi-Turbo E550 Coupe (W207)
Originally Posted by Cha lee
Wasn't aware Firestone had that as an option. Google tells me the closest is only 4.5 hrs away.
I would have preferred to install the struts myself but didn't want to drive hours on a misaligned front end. Such are the joys of living in a remote area. I love it.
Apparently there is no "quick fix" I can do in the garage.
No worries. Love driving this thing. I'll pick a nice day for a drive and make a day of it.
thx for your input.
I’m sure it must be so much fun to have wide open roads and really enjoy the e. Wish I had that luxury!