E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket warranties

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E400
Aftermarket warranties

I am purchasing a 2016 E400 coupe with about 33k miles. I stopped in to my local MB dealer and spoke with a service advisor to see which companies they did business with and which to avoid.
They gave a thumbs up to Z-Care, Fidelity and Endurance. A thumbs down to CarShield.
I didnt go over every warranty place - but I want to stick with a direct provider/administrator if possible. So far Endurance and Concord seem to be what I am looking at.
Can anyone give me some feedback on service plans they have actually used - plus or minus?
TIA.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:17 AM

E550 coupe
I had carshield for a few weeks. Called a few shops about their experience and they ALL said run away. Called carshield to cxl. I have a 9 minute recording of that hostile conversation.
tried endurance next. Had leaky struts. They denied the claim saying the car only had shocks. Struts are covered. Canceled them also. Endurance said they would refund all my money if I agree to delete all negative reviews I've posted. I said I wouldn't do that. People need to know the truth.
my experience only. Your results may vary.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:01 AM

2016 E400
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 98 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Consumer Reports has written about this, and although they say that such warranties do give some people peace of mind, here's their bottom line:

"A CR member survey conduced in 2013 showed that car owners typically paid more for the coverage than they got back in direct benefits. This isn’t surprising, because extended warranties make a lot of money for those who sell them."

That's consistent with everything I've ever read about extended warranties. These company's aren't charities.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (06-29-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 02:29 PM

2016 E400
Extended vice aftermarket warranties

I appreciate the CR info for extended warranties. And whenever i bought an extended warranty I felt it was a bad decision with Honda or Acura.
However now I am entering a different level of cost and proprietary service. With the aftermarket warranties I am trying to insulate myself for a large repair bill - e.g transmission.
Thats what I am trying to be prepared for - and the cost of a transmission or major ABS issue will far exceed the cost of a policy.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:35 PM
SPONSOR

Received 233 Likes on 179 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Exactly @nickE400 , I have 3 customers who have exceeded the cost of their warranty in repairs within the first 12 months of coverage, and still another 36-48 months remaining. Previously I had the air suspension on my S550 replaced and it was 80% policy cost right there, and I just over half of my policy paid for after a single water pump replacement at the Land Rover dealer.
Old 06-28-2022, 04:33 PM

E550 coupe
I think it comes down to one's comfort level of exposure. Ie, cost vs benefit. At first I was very concerned about future costs. Now, after trying a few companies I'm comfortable NOT having an extended warranty. Sure there are plenty of anecdotal statements of pleasant experiences. In my humble opinion it's like playing the house...the house will eventually win. It's their business model. As another poster said, they are not a charity.
Really comes down to your tolerance for risk.
Have you looked into an extended warranty from the MB dealership? Shops I've spoken to highly recommended the warranty company from carvana. Unfortunately, they only cover vehicles they've sold.