E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Upgrading to steering wheel paddle shifters on C207

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C207 E250 CGI
Upgrading to steering wheel paddle shifters on C207

Hi all,
I know there have been some threads on this already but I wanted to ask if anyone has tried this lately and had success.

I have a 2012 C207 which does NOT come equipped with paddle shifters. I am thinking of getting a steering wheel from a W204 which comes with paddle shifters.

Questions:
1. Will the car recognize the paddle shifters automatically or is there any additional coding needed?
2. If coding needed, expensive? And certainty of success or still a gamble?
3. In your opinion, worth the effort?

Attached are pictures of current wheel (on car) and intended purchase

Thanks in advance. Have a good day

Has paddle shifters

Intended purchase

Current wheel (no shifters)
Old 10-16-2022, 11:14 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Imo it's potentially a lot of work for something I'd have no use for. I thought they were neat at first, but after having it I quickly realized they're just a novelty. Now if the steering wheel is cooler looking I suppose that might be worth it. I can't see your pictures, all blurry for me, but my '16 wheel was certainly nicer looking than my '13 wheel, and so on as you go back in time. You also have to wonder about all the other wiring and functions. Do they just plug in and work or did they mix the wires and functions up and now nothing works? A lot of people upgrade to newer wheels so I'm sure there's info on that part.
If it all works except the shifters then I personally wouldn't bother, in fact I'd rip them out, but I'm sure you want to play with them. Otherwise I'd just wire the paddles to the console shifter so basically the console or paddles trigger the same circuit and the car doesn't know the difference. This might even be how the factory did it.

I'd give anything to have a console shifter back. My 2013 had both the console and paddles, but the paddles were only a novel accessory that I only used to downshift, and only when I was too lazy to move my hand. 99% of functionality is in the console shifter, imo, and I was pissed that 2013 was the last year for them. Now I have to struggle with just the paddles, which are all but useless except in a straight line. Of the drawbacks my '16 has compared to my '13, the loss of the shifter is the biggest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chevota:
Mr. Toad (10-17-2022), MYMozz (10-17-2022)
Old 10-16-2022, 11:22 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by MYMozz
Hi all,
I know there have been some threads on this already but I wanted to ask if anyone has tried this lately and had success.

I have a 2012 C207 which does NOT come equipped with paddle shifters. I am thinking of getting a steering wheel from a W204 which comes with paddle shifters.

Questions:
1. Will the car recognize the paddle shifters automatically or is there any additional coding needed?
2. If coding needed, expensive? And certainty of success or still a gamble?
3. In your opinion, worth the effort?

Attached are pictures of current wheel (on car) and intended purchase

Thanks in advance. Have a good day

Has paddle shifters

Intended purchase

Current wheel (no shifters)
before you buy the wheel ang go through with the swap I would first check the programming in the car and see if it even has the option to activate paddle shifters. If that feature is there then the swap will be much easier.
if the option is not there Personally I wouldnt bother. its going to be a huge pita
The following users liked this post:
MYMozz (10-17-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 08:48 AM

Received 146 Likes on 121 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by Chevota
I thought they were neat at first, but after having it I quickly realized they're just a novelty. Now if the steering wheel is cooler looking I suppose that might be worth it...I'd give anything to have a console shifter back. My 2013 had both the console and paddles, but the paddles were only a novel accessory that I only used to downshift, and only when I was too lazy to move my hand. 99% of functionality is in the console shifter, imo, and I was pissed that 2013 was the last year for them.
Agreed. I never use the paddles and wish my car had the gear selector in the center console instead on the steering column.
The following users liked this post:
MYMozz (10-27-2022)