E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2016 E350d - fuelling issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E350d Coupe
2016 E350d - fuelling issue?

Hello, requesting some advice please.

I have a 2016 E350d Coupe with, what I think is a fuelling issue.

On very light acceleration, often down hill (typically 4th, 5th or 6th gear) or at motorway speeds (1,000 rpm, 9th gear) I have a very mild judder that feels like a mis-fire (not possible I realise). As far as I can tell, it can happen in any gear although those are the most frequent scenarios. It also happens with the cruise control engaged (so I don't think it is the throttle pedal itself).

My Benz dealer cannot replicate it, and I am hesitant to spend a fortune on them trying to find something they don't think is there. So, I bought a simple code reader which gave an N118 FSCU (fuel supply control unit?) error with the code C40100 (improbable values). Reading around, suggested this was a low-pressure fuel pump issue. (How many fuel pumps could a car have? Is a fuel pump the same as an FSCU?)

Can anyone confirm this? And if so, is this something a relatively inexperienced person could tackle? Years ago, I rebuild a 1500cc inline 4 Fiat engine, but that had a distributor with points and condenser and a Weber carburettor. I get nervous around all the electronics in modern engines.

Unrelated - the car has had all exhaust sensors replaced along with both MAFs and the plastic body. Following this work, the dealer printout showed no errors although I was still having the judder.

Before getting the sensors and MAF done, economy was 38mpg on a long trip, 29mpg on my commute. I'm now getting 49mpg on a long trip and 42mpg on my commute. British mpg, my commute is 16 miles down country lanes.

Thank you in advance.
Philip