E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Jerky binding when backing out of driveway on cold start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2023, 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Question Jerky binding when backing out of driveway on cold start

Hi all, I just bought a 2012 E550 coupe with 31k miles on it 1 owner, and everything is in pristine condition and it runs really smoothly with the exception of when I'm reversing out of my driveway on a cold start.

When backing out, it moves smoothly until I start turning the wheel sharply, and I drop off the little bump separating my driveway from the street. I'm not sure if it's the sharp wheel turning or the bump, but once I get halfway out, something starts binding periodically and making popping sounds, and the car moves rather jerkily. I've checked and there is plenty of undercarriage ground clearance, and once I'm back in Drive and going forward everything is fine, even if i make sharp turns or go over bumps. No noise whatsoever.

Once it's warmed up, I can't seem to replicate the issue either.

I've seen some mixed advice on similar issues, such as this thread, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this on a RWD MB, and whether or not I should be concerned. I'm taking it back to the dealer soon but also wanted some more opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-03-2023, 03:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,442 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by EyckVanDyke
Hi all, I just bought a 2012 E550 coupe with 31k miles on it 1 owner, and everything is in pristine condition and it runs really smoothly with the exception of when I'm reversing out of my driveway on a cold start.

When backing out, it moves smoothly until I start turning the wheel sharply, and I drop off the little bump separating my driveway from the street. I'm not sure if it's the sharp wheel turning or the bump, but once I get halfway out, something starts binding periodically and making popping sounds, and the car moves rather jerkily. I've checked and there is plenty of undercarriage ground clearance, and once I'm back in Drive and going forward everything is fine, even if i make sharp turns or go over bumps. No noise whatsoever.

Once it's warmed up, I can't seem to replicate the issue either.

I've seen some mixed advice on similar issues, such as this thread, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this on a RWD MB, and whether or not I should be concerned. I'm taking it back to the dealer soon but also wanted some more opinions.

Thanks in advance!

do you have all summer tires on it? If so it could be wheel hop that is common when tires are colder than 40F
Old 05-03-2023, 11:07 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
do you have all summer tires on it? If so it could be wheel hop that is common when tires are colder than 40F
Thanks for the reply. I just checked, yes they are summer tires indeed. I also verified that it's not the bump that causes it, and it also happens in forward too. So it's just cold start + sharp turn = something binding or skipping.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,442 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by EyckVanDyke
Thanks for the reply. I just checked, yes they are summer tires indeed. I also verified that it's not the bump that causes it, and it also happens in forward too. So it's just cold start + sharp turn = something binding or skipping.
how cold is it outside when this happens? This sounds like tire hop

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...s-jumping.html

Last edited by PeterUbers; 05-03-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350/C207
Do you service the differential?
Old 06-14-2023, 11:15 PM

2012 E550 Coupe
Fixed!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
how cold is it outside when this happens? This sounds like tire hop

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...s-jumping.html
Hi and thanks for the reply! the tires were quite rotted and old, I think they were the original summer tires that shipped with the car in 2012, I put new conti's on it and no more binding/skipping feeling on cold starts now!
The following 2 users liked this post by EyckVanDyke:
Mr. Toad (06-15-2023), Snarla (06-15-2023)