E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

front aircap doest close perfectly flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 11:53 PM
MMS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet
front aircap doest close perfectly flush

Hi,

having only recently managed to get the front aircap to open on my recently purchased 2011 e550 cabrio's front aircap, by lubricating and gently nudging it up with a trim pry tool. it now doesn't retract perfectly flush

the ends seem to be pushed forward by something underneath. see photos. it would be super helpful if someone with a A207 could provide similar shots for comparison

Old 08-23-2023, 11:24 AM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
What's an air cap? And while it's hard to tell from your photos, that looks more like the rear of the car than the front. You got some 'splain to do, Lucy!
Old 09-02-2023, 08:22 AM

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Originally Posted by The_Judge
What's an air cap? And while it's hard to tell from your photos, that looks more like the rear of the car than the front. You got some 'splain to do, Lucy!
That is the front air cap on the A207 E350 /E550 cabriolet.. @judge what you are referring to is the rear air deflector the rises up in between the rear seats.. In the pics you can see the front hood but its not clear

Its a known issue with the air cap, either not rising at all, or only one side rising up that can jam the mechanism. Search for other threads on this but most end up having to replace the electronics that control the air cap. There is one thread that shows a partial how to remove the air cap and replace the module.....

Me personally....dont worry about it... MB wants way too much $$$$$ to repair and you get the same crappy module that will fail after a few years. Just put a nice fitting hat on and ride in style !!!!!
Old 09-02-2023, 11:12 AM

2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
That is the front air cap on the A207 E350 /E550 cabriolet.. @judge what you are referring to is the rear air deflector the rises up in between the rear seats.. In the pics you can see the front hood but its not clear

Its a known issue with the air cap, either not rising at all, or only one side rising up that can jam the mechanism. Search for other threads on this but most end up having to replace the electronics that control the air cap. There is one thread that shows a partial how to remove the air cap and replace the module.....

Me personally....dont worry about it... MB wants way too much $$$$$ to repair and you get the same crappy module that will fail after a few years. Just put a nice fitting hat on and ride in style !!!!!
I ask "what is an air cap," and the respond I get is "that is an air cap."
Old 09-04-2023, 11:22 AM

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
2012 E350 Cabriolet now SOLD to my son
Originally Posted by The_Judge
I ask "what is an air cap," and the respond I get is "that is an air cap."
Sorry. .. allow me to elaborate..in the photos above you can see the air cap just above the windsheild..( not great pics ) .it has the small lever arm and beyond that is a mesh screen to prevent debris from getting to the driver/passengers eyes... An air cap is the flap on the header above the windsheild on the cabriolet that rises up to direct air a bit more up and over the drivers head when the top is down. The rear air deflector is situated between the rear seats that helps stop air traveling back into the cabin with the top down. They work as a system. there is a button on the console and or dash that controls them
What goes wrong is the front air cap. It may not rise up, one side may rise up or it may jam in up position. IIRC most are related to failure of the module although some folks have found that debris and dirt getting into the air cap mechanism and make the operation un reliable. You may have to remove the header to get to all the mechanism and motors.
The module can be replaced but new ones are expensive and it is a bit complicated for the install. I do not know if the module then needs to be synced using Xentry etc.

@Judge I hope that clarifys

Last edited by WRC-LVR; 09-04-2023 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 11:27 AM

2018 E400 Coupe
Much appreciated! Thanks for the clear explanation.

Now if there were only some clear photos to help educate those of use who have zero experience with convertibles. 😕