E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A207 - Sirius XM is patchy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 08:02 PM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
A207 - Sirius XM is patchy

Hello all,

my 2012 Cabrio seems to have a loose connection somewhere between the radio and the Sirius antenna. It usually works when stationary, but often cuts out and comes in and out every now and then. FM radio or Bluetooth work without fail, so I feel like it's a connection issue somewhere.

Having done some reading-around, I *think* the Sirius receiver is in the trunk somewhere. Does that sound right? Not quite sure what to look for, but I'd check whether cables are connected properly. Any other suggestions?
I am contemplating replacing the head unit for the radio with something more modern, but I assume that it would still tap into the Sirius receiver anyway, or are there aftermarket head units (AA/Carplay enabled) that contain a tuner and I just need to connect an antenna to it?

Thanks all!
Old 02-07-2024, 04:38 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
2015 E400
I've found the stock Sirius audio quality to be terrible. I never use it. Sirirus thru my third party CarPlay actually sounds good, so that's what I use. In fact, I almost never use the stock headunit functions anymore.
Old 02-07-2024, 09:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 E550 Cabriolet
I suspected the trunk's shark fin antenna connection was slightly loose and asked the shop to look into it. I think it can be tightened after removing the monkey fur material from the underside of the trunk lid. Afterwards reception has been much better, no "no signal".

Another downside is I never did get anywhere near all the channels Sirius has. On their website I learned that my 2011 receiver can't get them all, but I'm sure not going to mess with trying to change it for a newer one.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:55 AM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
Originally Posted by RealDonn
I suspected the trunk's shark fin antenna connection was slightly loose and asked the shop to look into it. I think it can be tightened after removing the monkey fur material from the underside of the trunk lid. Afterwards reception has been much better, no "no signal".

Another downside is I never did get anywhere near all the channels Sirius has. On their website I learned that my 2011 receiver can't get them all, but I'm sure not going to mess with trying to change it for a newer one.
I'll look into that connection, thank you.

The lack of channels is one reason why I'm considering replacing the head unit with something that can tap into the Sirius app (which negates the need to fix the connection issues). I already have access to the app due to subscriptions in other cars, so it could be a net saving of money to cancel the separate sub on this car (which I'm using to justify spending the money on a new screen). I just haven't found one that looks suitable yet.
The following users liked this post:
RealDonn (02-07-2024)