E-Class Coupe (C207) & Cabrio (A207) 2010-: E250CDI Coupe, E350 Coupe, E350CDI Coupe, E500 Coupe, E550 Coupe [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Parking Light Error - Changed to LED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 11:51 PM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
Parking Light Error - Changed to LED

Hello all,

In brief, I replaced my H7s with LED H7s. After I changed out the main head lamps, one of my old parking lamps stopped working and I got an error message to that effect. I proceeded to replace the remaining H7s and ordered LED replacements for the parking lamps, which are working fine. All 6 LED replacements are working perfectly fine...

Except I get a parking light warning every so often for one of the lights. I assume that the LEDs are not drawing enough current. However, there is a niggling feeling that the warning has to do with the H7s, as that's when the warning first came up.

Any suggestions? I don't think I'll go back to regular bulbs, but the warning is annoying, too...

P. S.: The H7s are no longer for sale on Amazon, so I can't share a link, but they have fans, etc, and work well.

Old 06-25-2024, 06:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
Add load resistors

CANbus error message due to insufficient current draw from the LEDs. Add a load resistor.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:22 AM

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
Originally Posted by mistert2
CANbus error message due to insufficient current draw from the LEDs. Add a load resistor.
I haven't dusted off my soldering iron in years...

Where does a resistor need to be added, though? It feels as though the first error came up because the H7 had a reduced draw and the parking light got burned out. Are all the lights on the same circuit? Not sure how they're switched...
Old 06-25-2024, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
The CANvus is just looking for a current draw so you can either add a resistor in series or in parallel with the H7 LEDs. The resistor should have a power rating at least that of the original halogen H7s.

First what was the wattage rating of your original H7 halogen lights? Second what is the wattage rating of your H7 LEDs?

Using the wattage of the H7s just apply ohms law to find the value of the resistor.

This assumes that the issue is with the H7s as you suspected. It could also be that the parking lights are where the load resistor needs to be added. Apply the same method to determine the value of the resistors here.

Last edited by mistert2; 06-25-2024 at 08:59 AM.