E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Moving from an S coupe to an E53 AMG coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:30 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Moving from an S coupe to an E53 AMG coupe?

Wanted to throw this out there to current E-coupe drivers. At one point, I test-drove a 2018 E coupe which I really enjoyed and was between it versus a recent-year used S550 coupe. Ultimately went with the latter.

It has been a great car, some persistent rattles despite multiple dealership trips notwithstanding. I've also never test driven either an E53 coupe nor an S63 coupe. I'm at the point where I don't want anything slower than the current ~4.4 second 0-60 time I have, I do want AWD and to keep towards the high-quality interiors, but I also want something at least as quiet inside and that doesn't ride significantly rougher than an S coupe does. The adjustable air suspension to add a little clearance (snowy climate) has also been nice. I considered the new BMW 850 coupes but have never driven one and tend to lean towards MB anyhow.

I've read several threads in this subforum about the experiences some of you folks have had with the E53 and am curious -- did any of you cross-shop the two models or formerly have an S, and if so, what swayed you? On one hand, the S is "the S" but at the same time, as best as I can tell, the E53 is an excellent car also, and I always wonder about the point of diminishing returns for the money between the E and the S.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
While I suspect this is already known, the C217 is both quieter and more powerful than the C238. The interiors are unique to their respective classes. If you value interior aesthetics, speed and comfort, you know your S-Class coupe will serve you better.