E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

E300 Stock Sports Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A5
E300 Stock Sports Exhaust

Anyone with the E300 Coupe know what the stock exhaust sounds like?

It's mentioned to have an acoustic valve/flap (sports exhaust system), and was wondering if it pops/bangs..

Thanks
Old 09-13-2019, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
paulgeoghegan
I have this on my E300 Cab. Pretty sure it is the standard fitting for AMG styled models in the UK (which is all Cabriolets in the UK, not sure about Coupes but I imagine they are the same).
In comfort setting, it doesn't pop or bang, but in sport and sport plus it does, but I thought that was an artificial sound coming through the speakers, so whether other road users hear it popping on a downshift, I don't know.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:45 AM

A5
Originally Posted by paulgeoghegan
I have this on my E300 Cab. Pretty sure it is the standard fitting for AMG styled models in the UK (which is all Cabriolets in the UK, not sure about Coupes but I imagine they are the same).
In comfort setting, it doesn't pop or bang, but in sport and sport plus it does, but I thought that was an artificial sound coming through the speakers, so whether other road users hear it popping on a downshift, I don't know.
Thanks for the insight! Yeah I presume its the same for the Coupe. How does the car feel overall? Enough power, considering weight/size etc? I'm getting the coupe so I imagine would be slightly lighter.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 AM

paulgeoghegan
Originally Posted by merc123g
Thanks for the insight! Yeah I presume its the same for the Coupe. How does the car feel overall? Enough power, considering weight/size etc? I'm getting the coupe so I imagine would be slightly lighter.

Thanks
I would like to hear from others regarding the sports exhaust. I remember reading somewhere that the sounds heard in Sport Plus are coming through the sound system, but I don't know if that is fact or not.
Short of blasting down the road in Sport Plus mode with my wife standing on the pavement listening for any sporty exhaust sounds, don't know how to check this out (No, she wouldn't be interested in doing that, she thinks I'm nuts already)
Re your question, I am more than happy with the performance.
There is a lot of misinformation around engine performance IMO, often spread by motoring journalists when reviewing new models. I remember reading that the E 300 was underpowered and buyers should go for the larger, and of course, massively more expensive models.
All I can say is that I find the performance more than adequate, and I have owned Porche's, BMW M3's in the past.
Selecting Sport or Sport Plus does more than drop down gear, as in many cars. I have the air suspension option and the car lowers slightly (not sure if this happens with conventional suspension TBH) the steering stiffens and the performance changes noticeably. It's never going to be an M3, but nor is it designed to be so either, but it certainly feels fast and 0-60 in 6 sec (UK spec) was considered very very quick only a few years ago.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:44 PM

A5
Originally Posted by paulgeoghegan
I would like to hear from others regarding the sports exhaust. I remember reading somewhere that the sounds heard in Sport Plus are coming through the sound system, but I don't know if that is fact or not.
Short of blasting down the road in Sport Plus mode with my wife standing on the pavement listening for any sporty exhaust sounds, don't know how to check this out (No, she wouldn't be interested in doing that, she thinks I'm nuts already)
Re your question, I am more than happy with the performance.
There is a lot of misinformation around engine performance IMO, often spread by motoring journalists when reviewing new models. I remember reading that the E 300 was underpowered and buyers should go for the larger, and of course, massively more expensive models.
All I can say is that I find the performance more than adequate, and I have owned Porche's, BMW M3's in the past.
Selecting Sport or Sport Plus does more than drop down gear, as in many cars. I have the air suspension option and the car lowers slightly (not sure if this happens with conventional suspension TBH) the steering stiffens and the performance changes noticeably. It's never going to be an M3, but nor is it designed to be so either, but it certainly feels fast and 0-60 in 6 sec (UK spec) was considered very very quick only a few years ago.
I've heard the same thing regarding the sound being artificially produced by the speakers.. My advice would be to let someone you trust to drive it around in an empty space for you to hear the sound for yourself! In terms of performance, I'm certain I'll feel the difference coming from an Audi A5 1.4TFSI 2018 with only 150hp! My only criticism is that the E300 in the UK are still specced with the older M274 Engines, and not the more powerful M264 engines available practically everywhere else in the world! Bit of a bummer really, but I can only hope that mine will include the newer version as I'll be taking delivery next year Feb. Things may change by then..

Also, what's even more strange is the C Class equivalent (C300 model), actually contains the newer engine with 258BHP + 48V Mild Electric motor to help with torque.. Quite strange that the E300 still has the older engine considering it's more expensive!

Thanks for the info though! Really appreciate it mate.

Last edited by merc123g; 09-14-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:37 PM

paulgeoghegan
Thanks, hope you enjoy your car, I am sure you will.
interesting info about the engine, I didn’t know that. Hope you do get that upgraded version.