E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

S550 coupe to new E450 coupe - considerations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 05:20 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
S550 coupe to new E450 coupe - considerations

I had a recent BTO idea and was hoping I might be able to get some E450 drivers' input. I've posted similarly about cross-model MB comparisons as well as thinking about Audis and the like, but I tend to come back to MB.

I have a 2016 S550 coupe, under factory extended warranty for another ~2 years, with ~47000 miles.

Thought crossed my mind to do a brand-new, BTO 2021 E450 4MATIC coupe, provided the dealer would be willing to extend a reasonable offer. I see quotes of 5-10% off MSRP floating around.

Pros / reasons why:
- Brand new build, brand new vehicle, first time doing so
- BTO, "just right" for me, optioned as I want
- Newest tech
- Enjoy the interior design
- I admit it, I miss black cars
- Slightly smaller ("tighter?") feel, perhaps less "boaty"

Cons:
- Interior differences? S is S, though E450 also highly rated in this respect
- No leather dash option in coupe except with color scheme I don't want in designo package, unclear if this matters much
- Going from a V8 to a V6 and the corresponding minimal performance loss and driving dynamic
- Losing acoustic glass as is not an E coupe option
- Trade-in value plus paying remainder, hard to tell if worth it
- Have had minimal issues with the current S besides some rattle nonsense

Toss-up:
- 2021 is last model year for S coupes, so unclear what future holds

Unknown to me:
- Difference in ride comfort (the S550 has an air suspension, and the E450 would be ordered with one)
- Difference in noise/vibration/harshness (S550 obviously known to be high end, but a five-year more recent E450 may equal or better?)
- Difference in sound system (both would be Burmester non-"high-end" optioned as the coupe apparently doesn't get it for 2021)
- Difference in real-world maintenance/operating costs

In the past, I had a 2010 E coupe (too long ago to be a good comparison), test drove a 2018 E-class coupe (liked it, generally speaking, memory hazy) and a 2021 E53 sedan (rough ride, even on most comfortable setting, also a bit noisier than I expected).

Priority goes towards comfort more than sport, but still want a respectable kick in the pants sometimes. Not a modder (think tint and custom-installed radar detector only).

Thanks much.

Last edited by exi; 02-08-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
Just as a C is not an E, the E (more so) is not a S. I will say the interior of the E coupe is spacious, and the back seat space compares favorably (improved) with the S coupe.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:14 AM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
I moved from a 2013 SL550 to a 2019 E450 cabriolet, so while not a direct comparison as you requested, there are some similarities. The biggest difference for me was the dramatic loss of engine torque; the 550 just has massive amounts of thrust, and while the 450 is by no means anemic, there is a distinct difference; some 200 foot pounds less. The S coupe is also a beneficiary of the ABC system, with active curve tilting in some models; providing a very stable ride. I can say the ride in the E450 with the AMG package and lowered suspension is a bit stiffer than the SL, but with the Dynamic Suspension there are some areas that can be altered; perhaps the ABC option on the E coupe would be acceptable.

According to comparison on Edmonds, you are giving up 7 inches in overall length between the two vehicles; two inches in wheel base; cargo volume is approximately the same; head room in the front is 2 inches less in the 450, but the drivers leg room and shoulder room are almost spot on; you gain in fuel economy from combined 19 to combined 25. Long term ownership cost of the SL550 was one of the rationales that we pursued in an evaluation of keeping the SL, or moving to another platform; I am sure that the same consideration would come into your thought process on the S coupe. I will add that the SL was bullet proof for the seven years that we owned it; while not cheap to maintain, it was rather well built and functional. Perhaps another consideration is that with the S coupe being eliminated from the MB model line up, does your version have a long term value benefit as that car may have collectability in the future. Or is your vehicle currently at peak used value? Both questions are fundamental from a fiscal perspective. We compared the S cabriolet and the E cabriolet, and just could not justify the value difference, as they are so close dimensionally, notwithstanding the S class interior.

Really IMO, it comes down to your particular driving habits, your 'feel' for the E, and a view of how long do you want to keep a vehicle. Good luck with your decision; both vehicles have merit, as well as stunning looks.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 386 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
I have a 2015 S550 4M and my wife has a 2018 E400 Cabrio 4M and I think the E400 might be as fast as my S. Comfort wise, the S is a tad bit more quiet but the E feels more like a sports car. They are both great but the S is just a tad bit nicer and more refined. Leathers are softer, finishes a bit nicer.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 336 Posts
2019 S560, 2022 Audi S8
I have an S560 that I've had for a little over a year and an E450 that I just bought 3 weeks ago. I tested out the S coupe a month ago. Loved it but just overextended my budget. I love the styling of the 2020 E450 coupe so I went for it. The biggest problem for a big guy like me is getting in and out of the E450. It's especially challenging when I've parked next to someone. The door is quite long and it's hard to step up out of the car while trying to keep the door from getting dinged. I wish there was an extra handle towards the back of door so I could control the door while I'm trying to step up out of the bucket seat. The S coupe was very easy to get out of and of course has better performance and quietness, but the E450 is very fun to drive.