E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Questions for the E Class Convertible Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class
Questions for the E Class Convertible Owners

Looking to upgrade my wife's fun car (2007 BMW 328 Convertible) to an E Class Convertible 2015 or newer - likely something like a 2018 coming off lease. We have owned a couple of E350's and a E450 Coupe as her everyday driver. Mainly curious about the fabric top of the MB v the BMW hardtop convertible. We both like the hardtop look, ability to take it through a car wash, and that its sounds/feels like a normal hardtop when the roof is up. Can you take the MB canvas top through a carwash? I know it is insulated but does it seem substantial and safe when you get caught in a thunder storm, etc? Any other thoughts about the fabric top v. the hardtop convertible 4 series BMW which is the other car we are considering? I know they make the SL in a hardtop but she wants a back seat for the occasional extra rider or the cargo space if the top is down and taking up the trunk space. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by WSimms
Looking to upgrade my wife's fun car (2007 BMW 328 Convertible) to an E Class Convertible 2015 or newer - likely something like a 2018 coming off lease. We have owned a couple of E350's and a E450 Coupe as her everyday driver. Mainly curious about the fabric top of the MB v the BMW hardtop convertible. We both like the hardtop look, ability to take it through a car wash, and that its sounds/feels like a normal hardtop when the roof is up. Can you take the MB canvas top through a carwash? I know it is insulated but does it seem substantial and safe when you get caught in a thunder storm, etc? Any other thoughts about the fabric top v. the hardtop convertible 4 series BMW which is the other car we are considering? I know they make the SL in a hardtop but she wants a back seat for the occasional extra rider or the cargo space if the top is down and taking up the trunk space. Thanks in advance for any advice.
if you so choose, you can go through a car wash. I’m back to a soft top after 3 different hard tops. There should be no problems with thunderstorms. As far as security, that’s up to you.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:21 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
So, in the E class models you are considering, there are two distinctly different models; the A207 E class cabriolet which was built on the C class chassis; and the A238 E class cabriolet which is built on the E class architecture. The A238 began in 2018 with the E400, and rebadged the next year as the E450, with a bump in horsepower. Both models of the E class are quite nice, however the A238 is a larger platform providing additional room in the passenger compartment. Depending on your needs, you may want to pursue the 207 model or the 238. You can check the A207 section of this forum for some additional information on that model.

With regard to the top, I personally will not take my car through a car wash, regardless of top. Prior to our A238 we had an R231 SL550, which is a hardtop, but in the years we owned it, there was never an occasion where it went through a car wash, even when serviced at the dealership. The Mercedes cabriolet roof is quite robust, as it is three layers, and pulled quite taut over the framework; but we hand wash our cars, always have.

Good luck in your search, these cars are in relatively high demand at the moment.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
E 450 4matic cab MY22
We have owned three Mercedes soft tops. Our current E350 is the A207 class. The top is very substantial and I sometimes think they are quieter than the hardtops. I had a GT Mustang convertible and its top did not compare to the Mercedes. I have taken all of them through carwashes without injury. I prefer to hand wash my cars but I sometimes get lazy. I believe as far as security goes that someone who would vandalize or break into a soft top would not hesitate to do the same to a hardtop.

I have thoroughly enjoyed our current E350. I do have a new 2022 E450 cab on order so I intend to continue driving them.
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:15 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2022 E450 Cabriolet
I'm on my fourth year with a c43 cabrio and have an E450 cabrio on order . I have never been through a car wash myself ,but read some Mercedes literature somewhere stating that it would not be a problem . I also have never heard of anyone having a problem with a car wash or security such as vandalism etc .. To me , the main advantage of a soft top is the extra trunk space it affords compared to the metal roof which basically fills the whole trunk . I've heard some metal tops can creak ,whereas the soft top actually makes the car quieter with its sound absorbing layers . I believe Mercedes reverted to soft tops to reduce weight and hence fuel consumption .
Old 08-04-2021, 08:39 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
19 E53 AMG Cab, 21 Land Rover Defender 110S, 20 LR Discovery HSE, 23 Ford Bronco 2dr 7spd Manual
The benefit of a soft top has less to do with the actual top and more to do with increased trunk storage and lighter weight. I’ve had a MB Cabriolet since 2010 starting with an E550 Cab and now with an E53 AMG Cab. Car wash, rain, snow are not a problem. Inside with the top up you wouldn’t know by visuals or noise that you weren’t in a hardtop.
I went MB because I’m a golfer and was able to get two sets of golf clubs in the trunk with the top down.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Originally Posted by WSimms
I've only owned my 2019 E450 for a few days to be honest, but I'm head over heels for the car. I too needed a little convincing to move to a soft top - I was looking for SLs but the only ones available widely in my area are with red interior, which was a deal breaker for me. I've previously owned a SLK350 hard top and hard top is cool in its own way, but takes up a ton of trunk space. The soft top on this car is extremely solid, the cabin is just as silent as any hard top I've been in. The car is an absolute dream and easily my favorite out of all the Benzes I've owned. My wife drives a 540i which is an awesome and fun to drive Bimmer, I'm a BMW fan as well. We test drove a 4 coupe - there's no comparison to the E class in my opinion - totally different cars. If you're trying to decide between those two, I'd recommend you have her test drive.

The real challenge right now is just finding the car. I saw the E450 newly listed on a Friday night, it checked all my boxes, and was at the dealership when they opened the next day. Off the lot by 1030am. Be ready to move fast and be prepared to not be able to negotiate.
The following users liked this post:
TennesseeZ4 (09-14-2021)