E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

How do I turn the car on and off please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 Coupe
How do I turn the car on and off please help

Hi guys, I've been driving a 30 year old car for the last 20 years.
I am picking up a 2018 E300 Coupe when it gets delivered to me in a few days and I have some questions as I haven't driven a newish car in forever.
All the reviews online go through all the advanced stuff but none of them address the very simple things that someone who hasn't driven a newish car wouldnt know.

1. How do I turn the car on. Is it as simple as putting my foot on the brake and pressing the turn on button? Is it one press of the button or two? Does that turn to ignition 1 or turn the whole engine on?

2. I understand the changing from D to N to R is behind the steering wheel. Do you have to be pressing the break to be able to use it?

3. How do you get the car into park and how do you turn the car off completely?
I assume you push in the button to go to park. Do you have to be pressing the brake when it goes into P.
Where is the handbrake?
How do you turn the car off completely. When can you push the off button? Does your leg have to be on the brake.

So sorry for these stupid questions, I just have absolutely no one who can help me and I am so embarrassed to ask the dealer
Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,847 Likes on 2,425 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
1. Depress the brake pedal and press ignition button once, if you don't depress the brake pedal, car turns on accessory mode.

2. I always recommend to have the speed at 0 before switching gears so naturally you should be pressing on the brake before changing gears. To answer your question, any speeds above 0, your car will let you shift to neutral but that is not recommended but it won't let you shift to reverse to protect you and the vehicle's transmission. Your car (depending on options) has a glide mode in which it disengages the drive train and drops the RPM to save fuel when you are at cruising speed with no pedals depressed but it is not the same as just putting the vehicle in neutral. In North America, it might (switching to neutral at highway speeds) even be illegal because it takes time to re-engage drive incase you have to respond to sudden events.

3. Pressing on P to enter park within 10km/hr speed will engage the parking pawl but your vehicle is still in motion, I don't recommend that as it may cause damage to your transmission. At speeds above that, your car will ignore the command to shift to park if you are in drive.

Handbrake (depending on options) will automatically engage when you put the vehicle in park and turn off the engine, the button is on the left side (or right side if your vehicle is a right hand drive) (as a button) below the light switches for the high beam, low beam, parking lights. Similarly, it will disengage when you put the car in drive with your seatbelt on.

You don't need to have the brake pedal depressed to turn off the engine, you can turn off the car in drive (at 0 km/hr or miles/hr) and the car will put the transmission in neutral.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 09-19-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300 Coupe
Thank you so much. Means a lot to me that you took the time out to type that. Hopefully i figure it out once I am in there.

Thank you again
Old 09-19-2021, 10:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,847 Likes on 2,425 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by NicolaMiraci202
Thank you so much. Means a lot to me that you took the time out to type that. Hopefully i figure it out once I am in there.

Thank you again
No problem at all, I am glad you found the information useful. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask and if I am able to answer, I will most likely do so. Remember, there are no bad questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
Sportsman0202 (09-20-2021), TennesseeZ4 (09-20-2021)