E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

Help…brakes are acting weird

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E400 coupe edition 1
Help…brakes are acting weird (issue fixed)

Hi brand new here,

We just put new wheels on and needed spacers to clear the front calipers.

Currently sitting 20” 8.5F 20” 9.5R with 10mm spacers all around.
Looks amazing and no issues but after only 1 week there’s some tapping noises from the front drivers side wheel. Earlier in the day there was a subtle vibration but I assumed it was the cheap tires and crappy road. That night the noises started as soon as I started moving. It’s not very loud but definitely a noticeable tapping with windows up or down. There is also a sound as if the e brake is on when it is not. Once the regular brake is pressed that noise stops but the tapping persists. Tonight I checked again and heard something like a bearing or spring rattle.
There is no visible signs of rubbing or scraping.
Im very confused as to why the brakes seem to be acting up when the only change is 1” larger wheel and 10mm spacers.

I will try to upload the videos I took.
Parking brake, caliper springs, sensors, pads? Any suggestions please?

Fixed: The wrong bolts were used for this application. Ordered 39mm fully threaded conical seat bolts.
The bolt hole for the aftermarket vossens is much thinner than the AMG factory wheels which caused the bolts to push through the rotor tripping brake sensor. And the bolts were not fully threaded causing the wheel to pull on the rotor loosening the wheel bolts and rotor screw which was the noises of the wheel potentially falling off. Very simple mistake that could’ve caused major and dangerous problems.

Last edited by sudonem; 04-25-2023 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Fixed
The following users liked this post:
joshuapace (04-25-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 10:30 PM

Clip1

Clip1 Sunday night
Attached Files

Last edited by sudonem; 04-23-2023 at 10:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:46 PM

Clip 2 Saturday night
Old 04-23-2023, 10:59 PM

Old 04-24-2023, 10:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet (MY18 A238)
Hi, this might be silly but are the wheels making contact with the callipers or braking components in any way?

Alternatively, are the tyres making contact with the body of the car - especially at full lock on steering in either direction?

I’ve never had a good feeling about spacers-

I had my factory wheels machined and refinished once, the shop who did this loaned me temporary wheels and they were not the right size on the front wheels (which wasn’t obvious until I started the car and attempted to reverse). The wheels were touching the calliper and it felt like the parking brake (what you call a e-brake) was applied. Note- if you have an “AMG Line” car- the brakes on the front may be much larger than on the back.

Spacers were installed by the shop for the few days I used the loaner wheels until they finished working on my factory rims. Regardless, the car handled terribly over that time and besides driving home and back to the shop when the rims were fixed, I didn’t drive the car. Hope this helps-
Old 04-24-2023, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by joshuapace
Hi, this might be silly but are the wheels making contact with the callipers or braking components in any way?

Alternatively, are the tyres making contact with the body of the car - especially at full lock on steering in either direction?

hey thanks for the reply,
the 10mm spacers are high quality and hub centric. The spokes are not touching the calipers. The tires are not touching the body at full lock either direction. And in reverse I don’t experience the noises

the bolts were my first concern. I’m checking them today when I get my jack back. Maybe they r too long and touch in the back? Or maybe too short but how would that cause my issue?
Old 04-25-2023, 03:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Cabriolet (MY18 A238)
Originally Posted by sudonem
Hi brand new here,

We just put new wheels on and needed spacers to clear the front calipers.

Currently sitting 20” 8.5F 20” 9.5R with 10mm spacers all around.
Looks amazing and no issues but after only 1 week there’s some tapping noises from the front drivers side wheel. Earlier in the day there was a subtle vibration but I assumed it was the cheap tires and crappy road. That night the noises started as soon as I started moving. It’s not very loud but definitely a noticeable tapping with windows up or down. There is also a sound as if the e brake is on when it is not. Once the regular brake is pressed that noise stops but the tapping persists. Tonight I checked again and heard something like a bearing or spring rattle.
There is no visible signs of rubbing or scraping.
Im very confused as to why the brakes seem to be acting up when the only change is 1” larger wheel and 10mm spacers.

I will try to upload the videos I took.
Parking brake, caliper springs, sensors, pads? Any suggestions please?

Fixed: The wrong bolts were used for this application. Ordered 39mm fully threaded conical seat bolts.
The bolt hole for the aftermarket vossens is much thinner than the AMG factory wheels which caused the bolts to push through the rotor tripping brake sensor. And the bolts were not fully threaded causing the wheel to pull on the rotor loosening the wheel bolts and rotor screw which was the noises of the wheel potentially falling off. Very simple mistake that could’ve caused major and dangerous problems.
Glad you got to the source of the problem!