E-Class Coupe (C238) & Cabrio (A238) 2017 - E200, E220, E300, E350, E400, E450 [Coupes &Cabriolets]

fun diagnosing Navigation stuck on "activating"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 01:38 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
MBUX Navigation: fun diagnosing stuck on "activating"

I had some tech fun last month, so thought I'd share to maybe help someone else not go through what I did.

I have a '21 E450 (IL 6) coupe with AMG package, MBUX OS and my car systems and software are all up to date.

After a year and half owning it, I get it in it, and the Navigation screen starts briefly for 1-2 seconds, the intermittenty 3 times, cycles between "Activating" (with a generic map in background), and confirming my correct location, and finally the 4 time, gets stuck on "activating". The menu options for that screen are "unavailable". Each time I started the car, it did this without fail. Everything else worked fine. Apple Car Play worked fine (as a work around).

So I call CAC at Mercedes. I call the dealer. No help.

3 CAC cases, 6 phone calls to CAC, and NO return calls after 3 weeks, I get aggressive. The dealer says to "bring it in" (a 3 hr drive one way...). I'm like...is that all you've got for me? My intuition keeps telling me it's a glitch and something easily fixed. And it was.

Though there's NO reason for it to happen, it happened the day ios 17 was put on my phone, and the Mercedes Me Connect app asked me to freshly confirm the Terms and Conditions again after a version upgrade by them. I've seen many apps do this in past. It should be a non-event. What was weird was how quick the screen TC flew by. It was this chain of events hours before the navigation stopped working. My thoughts are that the back end between me and Mercedes, got disconnected in some minor setting, bcause of all the changes (ios, new app, redo terms) and because Mercedes software and mechanical systems are incredibly picky (more like prima donna picky ) I couldn't so easily dismiss the possibility.

First I tried the MBUX menu restart - there are two choices and I tried first the restart, then the menu reset. There are called "soft restarts". They are harmless. They don't reset anything. But sometimes you get lucky and restart something you need. In this case it didn't work.

So I moved to the the more deliberate system restart...still not changing any settings. You are focusing a complete restart. This time you hold down the Home and Radio dash buttons together (I've read different years, different OS systems, have different button combos to use). This however - the system will give you an audible beep (the soft resets do not). And after a couple of minutes you've restarted.

No change...

Then I tried the more serious, and still no harm (for me)...a car software reset back to factory settings. This is what you do when you sell a car etc. This is also in their tech bulletin they sent me to give to the dealer.
  1. • Perform a user data reset ("Settings" -> "System" -> "Reset" in the MBUX display).
- removes your profile at restart
- resets car settings to factory state

From here you are walked through set up...
- forces everything to resync with Mercedes VIN and their ID with you assigned
- you'll have to re-pair any phones or devices
- resync your Mercedes Me Connect profile
- reconfirm the Terms and Conditions in your account/ app (this time it didn't fly by)

I did all this without CAC or any Mercedes rep walking me thru. I did it with the screen prompts.

It sounds more daunting but it really the walks you through everything except the phone pairing. Your VIN is paired to YOU already, so it will already go that direction when the system reinitialized.

The last step I'm happy to say worked, saving me a 6 hr round trip.

Do you know CAC never called me back? How sad is that we pay for a good car...and the technology isn't really supported like it should? I will never go to and EV by them given this experience.

Tech bulletin in full is here: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Mercedes-B...82-85-P-069961

Note I would NOT erase the map data (step 3) without trying any and everything first. Let the dealer do it. I've done it, but I've not wiped the system and wouldn't want to screw myself up).

Navigation stuck on Activating screen for 3 weeks until I did a complete car system reset. No menu functions for Navigation would work from touch screen or central console.
[img]blob:https://mbworld.org/63a69a97-8ba8-40b7-bd2d-2adf742d745c[/img]

Last edited by user 93082092; 11-02-2023 at 02:45 AM.