What to look for when buying a W114?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 VW GTI MKVII
What to look for when buying a W114?

Hello everyone-

I am new to this forum because I am looking to purchase a wonderful looking w114 1975 280C coupe. The car looks great (I will try and post a few pictures) and I am anxious to buy it but wanted to ask a few questions to you guys before going ahead, if you dont mind.

A few details about the car:
It is a originally from AZ and cam to Utah about 10-15 years ago. While here it was not driven much and was always garaged. According to the odometer and the owners son it has 41,000 miles. Its an automatic and has some surface rust and a small oil leak. I'm not sure what else to say, but please ask questions.

First off, what are some trouble areas or common things I should look out for? I have heard they have carb issues but thats really all I can find.

Second, are these able to bu used as daily drivers? I have heard that these old merc's run great and that there shouldnt be any issues but wanted to hear it from people who drive them.

Third, are these expensive to maintain? Being that I will be using it as my daily driver I want to know how much I should allocate per month to a "car fund".

Thanks for reading,

Andrew