Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W115
Newbie questions about W115

G'day

my name is Leon from Indonesia.
I'm very much new to classic Mercedes world. In fact, I have never owned a classic car before. But I love classic cars and I'd like to own one.
I'm interested in Mercedes classics, especially the W115 range, since from what I heard, it is relatively easy to maintain and parts are inexpensive.

So, a few days ago, a friend of mine contacted me about his '73 W115 280. He had that car since about 5 years ago. He bought that car and partially restored it. It was running great until one day he decided not to continue with the restoration due to lost of interest in cars. It was about 3 years ago he stopped restoring it. And since then the car was left out in the elements and some of the wiring is chewed up by rats. But other than that all the accessories and chorme bits are still there, including the interior. I know it is a little hard to imagine, but I'm going to see the car tomorrow.

Now, my question is, what do I need to look for and what are the common problems associated with this particular model? what are the common places for rust build up in this type of car?
Regarding the engine, he did mention that the wiring harness needs replacing. Is it hard to find the original one? also, this is the 280 model, what do I need to watch out for?

I know my questions sound vague, it is because I dont know what to look for and where to start. Please do enlighten me with your knowledge. I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks fellas
Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 E320 Wagon
Delete