E-Class (W114/W115) 1968-1976: All Models

No crank from gorilla knob?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'75 240D W115.117
No crank from gorilla knob?

I can get the car to turn over and run if I glow it and then jumper the starter solenoid to the battery. Did some testing with the test light and it seems when I check power to ground at the pull starter switch, all is well. But when I go and try and do the same operation down at the solenoid it is intermittent and sometimes won't go out at all even with the knob pushed all the way in. The other weird thing is when I have voltage from the purple solenoid wire present it won't kick off the solenoid. But if I jumper it direct it works. Could the glow plugs be drawing too many amps? It takes a lot more than 10 seconds to get the saltshaker glowing and that's with a 90 degree or so ambient temp and a brand new battery. I do not have a wiring diagram if anyone can point me to an online one.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'75 240D W115.117
Tested continuity at the NSS and it appears to work. Jumpered the 2 purple wires at the plug mounted on the firewall above the pedals and still no dice. I'm hypothesizing now the issue is downstream of the NSS but before the solenoid.