E-Class (W114/W115) 1968-1976: All Models

Rebuilt top end on '73 280E - won't start! Help me please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1973 W114 280E
Rebuilt top end on '73 280E - won't start! Help me please!

Hey all, thanks for looking if you're looking
I recently (two months ago) took my beloved 114 off the road to replace a breaching head gasket. It transformed into a top-end rebuild and head reconditioning. I've painted the engine bay and polished everything as it was going back in, with new parts and new nuts/bolts and a freshly painted welded exhaust manifold (it had cracked due to some negligent driving by the previous owner).
Everything went in nicely, all clean and shiny, which was quite a process as the car is at my mechanic friend's place, and he did most of the disassembly while I wasn't there, so I had to figure it out when I didn't know. There have been a lot of 'breaks' to consult google images to see what happens where

so finally the thing is fully reassembled and it just will not fire up.

Flywheel is positioned at TDC, sprocket markers line up, rotor is at point #1, fuel is arriving at the jets, the leads give spark, the plugs and leads and coil are new.

There's a strange sleeve sensor which comes from the diagnotic plug, and in some pics online it is shown sleeving lead #1. I can't make it fit my #1 lead no matter what I do, I've tried the old lead as well. Is this an important component or is there just some other issue? I really need to start this car, as it's a 40 min walk from my house, and the girlfriend of the driveway owner wants the car gone