E-Class (W114/W115) 1968-1976: All Models

Potential W114 Newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Carrera 3.2, 2015 GTI, 2000 ML320
Potential W114 Newbie

Hi All - I formerly was on here when I had my SLK32 AMG, but I’ve had an air cooled Porsche for 6 years and I don’t regret it. Anyway. I am keeping the Porsche but I have a chance to get a W114 280 for a good price and I’m between that and a W124.

I wrench like a ****, so mechanical work doesn’t scare me. I’d prefer not to do a ton of body work, but the occasional weld and paint is fine. Anyway.

My long term intent is to make a sporty-ish sedan - getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 300hp. I think I can get close with both an E320 and a W114. The 320 will get there faster, but I like the style of the W114 better. My main concerns are:

1. Suspension - I like my cars to have a little forward rake, and I prefer sedans to be on the firmer side and sit a little lower than the stock W114. I’ve seen this done, but I figured I’d ask the group here to see if you can point me to good threads here to get a sportier setup and the relative cost?
2. Steering - The main reason I didn’t like my SLK was the steering was numb as hell. The Porsche steering is a revelation. Can the W114 steering be tightened up a bit from your standard sedan float? Manual steering?
3. Brakes - I assume there are disc conversions. Just making sure.

Last thing to consider is the W124. Anyone here had both? The W124 isn’t as sexy, but I drove one, and I was really impressed with how it handled and felt. Yes it was slightly soft, but nothing a solid suspension job couldn’t sort out. Yes it was slow off the line, but slap a turbo on that 320 and it’s fine. Definitely more modern, but I daily an 80s Porsche so I don’t really care that much.

Pointers appreciated.