E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

1983 W123 300D Vibration & Hard Shifts until warmed up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 W123 300D Vibration & Hard Shifts until warmed up

Hi,

I have a 83 300D with 162K miles, that I just bought and had valves aligned, new fuel filters, new transmission filter/fluid. When I start it in the morning it runs very sluggish and slips and slams when shifting. But then on my way to work, after about 15-20 min. at 75mph it has much more pep and the shifing is very good...but still not perfect. Additionally for that first 15-20 min. on the highway, I get vibrations in the seat and steering wheel very much like my wheels need balancing. I have had them balanced though, and if it was a balancing issue it wouldn't go away after 15 min.

I suspect that all this is maybe related, but am not sure where to start looking. Is it possible that the car could have lousy vacuum until after it runs for a while? I guess this could explain the shifting, and maybe the vibration. What is this a symptom of?

I have fallen in love with this old car and if I could get this figured out life would be great!

Thanks for any help...
Old 11-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e
Originally Posted by kurtept
Hi,

I have a 83 300D with 162K miles, that I just bought and had valves aligned, new fuel filters, new transmission filter/fluid. When I start it in the morning it runs very sluggish and slips and slams when shifting. But then on my way to work, after about 15-20 min. at 75mph it has much more pep and the shifing is very good...but still not perfect. Additionally for that first 15-20 min. on the highway, I get vibrations in the seat and steering wheel very much like my wheels need balancing. I have had them balanced though, and if it was a balancing issue it wouldn't go away after 15 min.

I suspect that all this is maybe related, but am not sure where to start looking. Is it possible that the car could have lousy vacuum until after it runs for a while? I guess this could explain the shifting, and maybe the vibration. What is this a symptom of?

I have fallen in love with this old car and if I could get this figured out life would be great!

Thanks for any help...

Check Your motor mounts. They may be bad.That would explaind vibration.

The Transmission sounds like a vacuum leak.