E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

2 questions: sunroof hard to open/close seat springs shot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1973 450SL & 1983 240d
2 questions: sunroof hard to open/close seat springs shot

Here are another 2 questions about my new 240d.

Sunroof hard to open and close:
The manual sunroof has a great newer seal but seems very stiff and un-Mercedes like. I'm wondering if it needs to be lubricated and if so, what is best to use?

Seat springs:
The springs on the driver's seat seem to be shot (I go sliding when I go around a corner too fast). Am I better looking for another seat or is it feasible to replace the interior structure? The MB vinyl is in great shape. Finally is this a DIY project or do I need to pass this off to a pro?

thanks for your help!
Deidre
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM

On your sunroof and windows, first remove the switches from the console and clean them. Sometimes it is just the switch that causes hesitation and erratic operation.

The seat springs can be repaired using brake line if they are broken. You have to take out the seat, take the seat material off, and repair the broken springs using brake line that is larger in diameter than the seat spring metal. You cut the brake line to a couple of inches or less, drill out each end of the brake line splice, slide the broken spring into the splice you made, and wrap wire around the spring and twist it so the splice does not fall off.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 AM

1973 450SL & 1983 240d
clarification: manual sunroof

Ty for the info about the seat springs -what a great idea! For the sunroof, it's actually manual so I need to physically haul it forward and backward. It just seems tougher to do than I expect on a Mercedes so wondered if perhaps lubrification would help.