E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Same as a 300E?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Almost a Member!

Location: Palm Springs, California, USA... But hopefully San Antonio, Texas in the near future.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 Mercedes-Benz 240D
Same as a 300E?

Hey everyone! I'm the proud owner of a 1983 Mercedes 240D with black paint and tan interior!!! Of course it came with its issues. My glow plug light on the instument cluster is out. I was wondering if pulling out the instrument cluster on this bad boy was the same as the 300E.. I recently had to pull off the 300E's due to a burned out warning light. I used the actual tools lent from a W124 and W123 fan at our local autozone and it popped out just fine. So would the same tools work to pull this one out to replace the glow plug light? Also the tachometer stopped working and the clock isnt working.. and I really did use the clock in my 300E and was a bummer when i found out this one didn't work. Also, when I turn on the headlights, nothing lights up in the interior except for the gear selector.... I checked the fuses and they looked old but nothing was burned out. Her air filter is horrid with caked on crud and I could not get a new one until thursday as it is backordered. the oil is black and I KNOW the valves need to be adjusted. But it's all good. Any thoughts as to why the interior lights arnt working? also the instrument cluster too. Thanks guys!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Most likely your potentiometer is shot. It is the odometer reset and the dial used to turn up or down the interior lighting. I would start there – it is a very common wear item.

Pulling out the IP is just that – pull it out. It is very easy to do – and it held snuggly in place with an upper seal / gasket.

As far as some of the components not working – you will have to see what may be wrong when inside. The most common issues with the IP are an odometer that will no longer spin – so you peg and screw the axle shaft. The second main problem with the w123 IP is a non working tachometer due to a bad amplifier.

Good luck,
Jake